Thursday, April 7, 2011

THE "F" WORD ..... IT'S NOT WHAT YOU THINK!

It's the sixth day of the A-Z challenge and yet I still have so many wonderful bloggers to discover. 1200 is a lot of people! I would like to thank all my blogging buddies and new friends from the challenge for all their kind words. Your comments mean so much and I appreciate each one.

Today's post is based on my first novel and I hope you all enjoy it.


The sun dappled through cascading tendrils of the willow trees as it created dancing prisms of light. 
Flashes of fuchsia and sapphire sparkled from the patches of sun that filtered through the trees. Two jeweled hummingbirds weaved throughout the leafy streamers, perching on an outstretched branch. Waiting.

Dozens of monarch butterflies fluttered over the pond and landed on the lacy willow fingers. Buzzing trumpeted throughout the grove, announcing a group of glittering dragonflies. As they zoomed around in formation, one by one each dived, looped-de-looped, and then zipped off in alternating directions. Dividing into two equal parts settling throughout the trees.

One last monarch fluttered across the pond, reflecting vivid shades of blue in the water’s surface as emerald and sapphire shimmered from the last dragonfly slightly overhead. The butterfly landed first on top of an elaborate twisting of branches that somehow resembled a stage. The dragonfly buzzed around it waiting. 

With one out stretched wing, the butterfly wrapped itself and began to spin. Flowing electric blue hair tumbled across the shoulders and between the wings of an exquisite beauty. A fairy. She bowed her head to each side of the pond and rested her eyes on the dragonfly before her. 

A flash a emerald revealed her handsome male counterpart. He glided onto the stage, landing next to her. She nodded. A sound of soft lyrical music whispered through the grove as the two fairies embraced in their first dance.

I would like to dedicate this Fairy post to my fairy good friend Summer Ross.




28 comments:

Wanda said...

Visiting from the A-Z challenge. Butterflies remind me of transformation.


Wanda
The Watered Soul

Katie O'Sullivan said...

Fabulous!

Unknown said...

Got another F word for you... Fantastic.

PencilGirl said...

That was so beautiful... The imagery you created was so beautiful and delicate.. I wish I could write like that.. :) :)
Fabulous post!! :D :D

Ella said...

so beautiful, your descriptions are so lyrical and poetic! I want to go there... ;-D I love the fantasy, keep writing~

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Lyrical and magical to match the fae subject fantastically. Good job, Michael.

Talli Roland said...

Oh, I did love this! Fantastic post, Michael. Happy F Day! :)

Brenda Drake said...

F is for Funtastic. That's what reading your snippets are. Wonderful imagery in this one too, Michael. Great job! :D

Summer Ross said...

Michael- I really enjoyed the images mixed with all those different colors- a butterfly turning into a fairy was truly wonderful! Thanks so much for posting this! You did an amazing job with wording.

Cherie Reich said...

Lovely imagery in this piece.

Wendy Tyler Ryan said...

Very lyrical, Michael. You have to stop writing so well, I'm supposed to be visiting more strangers!!

kjmckendry said...

Fanciful and Fun! Thanks for taking me to Fairyland.

Anonymous said...

Your writing is so visual, Michael! I want to be right inside of this piece, watching and listening.

Susan Oloier said...

Michael, when is your first book coming out? I cannot get enough of your writing. Your observations are so keen and brilliant. I am going to turn into your number one fan--in the non-stalking, non-Misery-type way.

Unknown said...

That is so beautifully magical! I love it!

Donea Lee said...

I agree with Rachel, just magical. Lovely work, Michael. You certainly have a (F)lair for description! :)

Golden Eagle said...

Beautiful! Again, the description just makes it a wonderful read. :)

Chris Phillips said...

I like both the picture from the description and the one posted.

Laura said...

That was beautiful. I've just come back from a walk to a forest glade - this was like a memory of a dream from there
Lx

Michelle Merrill said...

I love the way you describe the colors, Michael. Thanks for sharing :)

Denise Covey said...

That was F brilliant. Colours, butterflies, trees...beautiful.

Denise<3

L'Aussies Travel Blog A-Z Challenge Posts

Nicki Elson said...

Aaw, so sweet. Love the transformation and the dance.

By the way, t isn't luck that's letting you write these beautiful "riddles" last minute---I'm pretty sure it's called talent. ;)

Brooke R. Busse said...

At first, when I got a glimpse of the picture (which I always try not to do), I though the answer was going to be forest. I like the current outcome much better. ^^ The ending really stuck out to me.

Elliot Grace said...

...fantastic voice you're nurturing! Well done, Michael:)

Our dear friend Roland suffered a terrible loss today. I understand that you're dedicating an upcoming post to him. A noble decision of you. Roland is well deserving.

Take care, Michael.

EL

ali cross said...

Aw, sweet! That was a very tender end. I liked it!

erica and christy said...

Fair - what a wonderful F word. (sorry I've been gone so much. busy at work, sick kid, getting stuff ready for the conference. will be back soon!)
erica

Margo Berendsen said...

Beautiful! I was guessing F is for Fantasy, at first. I loved the butterflies and the dragonfies preceding the fairies. Summer Ross is wonderful, too! - thanks for the reminder - need to visit her again!

Alison Pearce Stevens said...

What exquisite description! I love the colors; you absolutely put me in that location. :)