Saturday, April 2, 2011

GIMME A B!

Happy Saturday everyone. Today is the second day in the A-Z challenge. As for myself I really enjoyed many of the entries yesterday, but it is just to overwhelming to visit everyone. So if I haven't been to visit you yet, I will as soon as I can. My entry today is another flash fiction. Everyone seemed to enjoy my April spring entry yesterday and I hope you enjoy this one too. I am keeping posts super short this month. We all appreciate visiting as many as we can. Without further ado...

Giggles from boisterous girls echo through the gymnasium as moose calls from tubas, elephant calls from trumpets, and ting-a-lings from chimes add to the cacophony. A single withdrawn girl from behind the bleachers hides, watching.
Her jaw drops at the sight of a running-suit cladded woman tapping on a clipboard. The girl’s face flushes as the woman raises her head eagle-eying the premises.
For a brief moment, the girl twists her fingers into a web of bone and flesh. She bends for a closer look as a sudden breeze captures her skirt. Pulling her digits apart, she grabs the hem. The woman disappears behind mass of commotion.  The girl sighs. 


You can do this.

The grumbling of drums roll like a summer evening’s storm as she observes a line-up of  girls wearing maroon and gold skirts that match her own. Flashes of light reflect off metal spinning in the air. One by one, each girl joins the previous one as the coach barks out  her orders.

The girl whirls her wrist in unison with the others. But something is missing from her grasp. A long, thin tube of chrome with a white rubber tee-like stopper at each end. 

Where’s my baton? I can do this. 
Rolled beside a wayward backpack a shimmer of silver welcomes her.




33 comments:

Brenda Drake said...

B is for Brilliant! Great descriptions, Michael. I really felt like I was in that gym. Have a wonderful day. Can't wait to see what you post on Monday. :D

Karen Lange said...

It's interesting how many different posts there are on each letters. Interesting! Have a great weekend!

Jan Morrison said...

this is a pitch perfect piece!
Jan Morrison - come on over and check out mine.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

This is a perfect prose photograph, Michael. Hibbs is waiting for you at my ... umfff {just got nudged by a towering Grizzly} ... our blog.

Have a beautiful weekend, Roland

The Words Crafter said...

Bewitching post! These little snippets are great teasers!!!

Heather said...

Fantastic! I loved it!

Eliza said...

Wanted to read more!

N. R. Williams said...

Nice little flash fiction. Loved it.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

Susan Oloier said...

Michael, your writing is so poetic and literary. I really enjoy the images you conjure. Simply lovely. Thanks for a nice opening piece (you're my first stop on B day) this morning.

Trevor Peck said...

Great post - Happy A2Z!

Unknown said...

Beautiful painting of a scene :-)

ali cross said...

Ha! Loved it! And so unexpected. :D

Why Not? Because I Said So! said...

Nice post! I can't wait to read more from you.


Sheila Staley : Reviewer & Writer
Book reviews and Author Interviews at my blog at http://whynotbecauseisaidso.blogspot.com/

Sarah Allen said...

Ooh, very cool :) Thanks for sharing!

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog: B is for Bowie)

Alison Pearce Stevens said...

You nicely captured her nervousness. Great post, Michael. Happy April! :)

Laura said...

Loved it Michael. Reminded me of that feeling just before getting on a stage to perform. See you monday
Lx

Golden Eagle said...

I love the description in this piece! Great "B" post.

Wendy Tyler Ryan said...

Goooo Michael! Great post, very vivid.

If you are stuck for the letter M on the 15th, I'm hosting a blogaversary blogfest to celebrate my 1 year of blogging. The fest will count toward your letter for the day as it features - what else - "M"! Love to have you join!

Nicki Elson said...

Aw, that was so sweet. One of my high school's colors was Maroon! We were actually called the Elgin Maroons---dumb name for a mascot, huh?

Ella said...

Nicely Done; I felt like I was in my high school gym!

M.J. Fifield said...

Loved the post. I was pretty good with the baton twirling once upon a time. Not so much now.

I can't believe how many participants there are in this A to Z challenge. Very exciting!


M.J. Fifield
My Pet Blog

Talei said...

Oh, I have always wanted to try Baton whirling!! Lovely B post Michael!

Tx

Unknown said...

Loved the post. I don't think I would be able to do baton twirling.

Jen said...

I love this! Great descriptions...can't wait to C what's next!

Unknown said...

What a unique look at 'B'. I have never been a cheerleader and I know I would be useless with a baton.

KM Nalle said...

I love flash fiction. Scrumptious little morsels that they are. This was fantastic.

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

Stopping by to say Hi. Nice treat to read your flash fiction. Excellent descriptions. Vivid. Love the twirling baton. How do you do that??

erica and christy said...

You aren't really trying to visit 800+ blogs this month, are you?? Don't kill yourself, Michael!!

Oh, and despite my horrible ballet experience, I did love baton twirling as a kid. No idea if I can still do it (although I'm leaning toward - no).
erica

Denise Covey said...

Geez Michael your wrist must be getting jolly sore! I enjoyed your flash fiction again. You can't visit over 1000+ blogs Michael. Long as you visit mine that's the important thing, ha ha ha ha. (I'd set a goal of 10 but I must be well over 30 each day so far, phew...)

Denise<3

L'Aussie Travel A - Z Challenge Posts

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love that you're doing flash too, and I like the writing of this one. All the best for the rest of the posts.

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

This was fantastic , if this a sample of what is to come.....I'll be back.


Thanks for the wonderful comment and I'm pleased to meet you too.

Yvonne.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Nice scene painting!
Thanks for the blog visit!

Monti
NotesAlongTheWay

Ellie Garratt said...

I loved it! B for Brilliant, as Brenda said.

Ellie Garratt