Friday, April 8, 2011

IN THE KEY OF "G!"


Greetings everyone. Another Friday and I'm starting to miss my Earthly Angels Friday. Once again I'd like to thank all my old and new friends for leaving such heartfelt comments. They mean so much to me. 

Today's post is different from what I had originally planned. I wanted to create something magical for a saddened friend, to whom I dedicated this post. 


Off a winding cobblestone street, a violin cries. Its echo is heard throughout eternity. A dim gas light sputters next to a rundown taverna as the scent of onions and meats perfume the air and waft effortlessly along an unexpected breeze.
Tattered men and women dressed in once bright garments, gather in front of the town’s only eatery. Glints of gold flash from ears, wrists, and necks as they step across the splintered wooden threshold, during the last vestiges of daylight. The raucous laughter extinguishes the delicate instrument for a brief moment.
Clambering for tables and expectations of ale, the single instrument struggles to sing over the cacacophy. 
“Quiet!” The man behind the bar yells. 
Silence falls over the tiny, dark room as the nimble fingers and flying bow of an elderly man wearing a red kerchief on his head plays on. His youthful green eyes flash from a  lit candelabra, hanging slightly overhead. Brown leather skin crinkles as his brow furrows. 
With eyes half open, he smiles a toothless smile, rapture evident in each note. An exquisite agony serenades the crowd as tears fall from the patron’s eyes.
On the final note, an applause that could wake the dead erupts. After a single bow, he continues to play a more festive song. The gypsies bang on the tables and join in with the chorals. 
Of course, I lavished on the time frame here, but I went to a similar establishment in Budapest, Hungary. The gypsy violinist did make that violin cry. It is, to this day, the most emotional piece of music I have ever heard. 
This is dedicated to Roland Yeomans and his dearly departed friend, Gypsy. Please all say a silent prayer for our dear friend, Roland.


36 comments:

The Words Crafter said...

What?!!!!!!!!! A beautiful piece, Michael. But I gotta go see what happened.

Take care!

Unknown said...

Very beautiful and touching. The violin has more soul than any instrument I can think of. Nice sentiments for Roland and Gypsy as well.

Denise Covey said...

This is beautiful friend. I thought it rang just a bit too true then I see you've been in an establishment in Hungary. Travel broadens our writing.

Poor Roland and Gypsy. He'll be in a world of hurt.

Denise<3

G is for Galagapos Islands.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

So sorry for Roland! Fitting tribute, Michael.

Ellie Garratt said...

A beautiful and fitting tribute for your friend.

Ellie Garratt

Anonymous said...

Lovely tribute.

Violin music can speak to a person's soul.

N. R. Williams said...

Beautiful job, Michael. Roland, I'm so sorry for your loss.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

Robyn Campbell said...

What a lovely tribute, Michael. Praying for Roland. The violin speaks to all. :-)

Unknown said...

Beautiful passage. Love all the vivid descriptions! ((hugs)) to Roland.

Brenda Drake said...

G is for a generous heart, which you have Michael. I'm sorry to hear about Roland's loss and am sending prayers out. This is a beautiful tribute. I especially loved this line -->

Tattered men and women dressed in once bright garments, gather in front of the town’s only eatery.

I could really picture these people - brilliant!

Wendy Tyler Ryan said...

very beautiful, Michael. I, too, dedicated my "G" post to Gypsy, today.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thank you, Michael, for a beautiful word picture. Amazing description!

Monti
NotesAlongTheWay

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Very touching tribute Michael

Jeana said...

This post is one of my favorites! I love stringed instruments; they're so melancholy. They really do cry.

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

Beautiful!

Shari said...

Music can do so many things. That was really beautiful.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

That you cared to write something so beautiful for Gypsy and me ... means more than I can say right now. Roland

VR Barkowski said...

Lovely tribute to Roland and Gypsy. Thank you, Michael.

Heather M. Gardner said...

Well done Michael.

Golden Eagle said...

Beautiful writing!

LTM said...

oh, what a wonderful post and how Kind! That is such a lovely thing to do for Roland. ((bear hug)) :o) <3

Unknown said...

Roland, I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you, Michael, for this lovely tribute.

T.D. McFrost said...

So good of you to do this for Roland Michael. :(

Hang in there Roland.

Nicki Elson said...

A gypsy story for Gypsy, pretty on so many levels. May peace be with you, Roland, and with Gypsy too.

Talei said...

Do you know, that even before I read you last few lines - that ROLAND's name popped into my head as I read this story! *cue spooky music* See - I know everything! ;-)

A wonderful tribute Michael! Thank you for sharing this with us and, have a fab weekend near the beach, you lucky thing!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

This is a beautiful piece. Prayers for Roland.

Jo Schaffer said...

This was very sweet and lovely. You are a sensitive man and obviously a good friend to Roland. (=

Renae said...

What a beautiful tribute for Roland.

Brooke R. Busse said...

I love how you describe the people as it reminds me of a dream I had, though those people weren't gypsies. You did a wonderful job, not too much, not too little. A perfect image.

dolorah said...

Very sweet. Your writings for the Challenge are excellent. I read through the last several and I find them concise and beautiful. The sentiments are lyrically engaging.

Have a good weekend Michael.

.....dhole

Snakesmom said...

This is such a thoughtful tribute, he was lucky to have you as a friend. :)

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Michael and Everyone who commented :
Thank you for caring and grieving with me.

Michael - you are a grand friend, thanks. Roland

Tamara McRill said...

I could picture everything. Wonderful tribute.

Anonymous said...

Great writing Michael and best wishes to Roland.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful writing, a fine tribute. Best wishes to Roland.

Susan Oloier said...

What an amazing friend you are, Michael, giving the gift of gorgeous words to a friend in need. Sending good thoughts to Roland.