Monday, April 11, 2011

IT'S ALL IN THE I'S ....


It's Monday. I hope everyone had a great weekend. I'd like to welcome my new friends who joined my blog family. I can't wait to get to know you better. As always I am thrilled to see my long time friends, too. 

Duncan, PencilGirl, Ju, Melissa, BZ, Pearson, Matt, Jonathan, Snakesmom, and Bluestocking Mum. So wonderful to meet you all.

It's now our second full week of the A-Z challenge. Here is my next mysterious post. I hope you enjoy it.

As zephyr winds swirl at the beginning of time, a deity of ultimate feminine beauty and grace generates from father Earth and mother Overaching Sky. 
She sets forth to meet her people, teaching her female subjects how to grind corn, make bread, weave cloth, and how to tame the most ferocious of beasts: man. She teaches them to read and all about agriculture. Prosperous, they honor her strength and kindness.
Out of anger and jealousy Ra, the sun god, more powerful than She, torments the world. Using her cunning, She tricks Ra and creates a poisonous snake that bites him. In tremendous pain Ra begs the goddess for healing. As healer of the world, She agrees, but with one condition, Ra must reveal his name to her. Only then would She have the power to cure him. Knowing his name left a vulnerable Ra defenseless against her. 
With all right in the ancient world again, She falls in love with her brother. As king of Earth and She his queen, their happiness infuses a tranquil and rich world.
Envious of their happiness, their younger brother tricks the king and seals him in a living tomb, disposing of him in the river. 
Upon hearing the news and frantic, She tears her robes to shreds and cut her locks of ebony. 
In time, She searches the world over for her beloved and finds the coffin in Phoenicia embedded in a fragrant tamarisk tree. She returns and hides the body in the swamps of the Nile.
That night while hunting, her brother finds the corpse. Enraged, he hacks the body into fourteen pieces, flinging them into the river.
Distraught and furious, She searches the river and with the help of seven scorpions manages to recover thirteen of the pieces. She re-creates the last piece and attaches the penis made of gold and wax. Now whole, She administers embalming for the first time, and utters words of magic. The dead corpse regenerates into life. They make love.
After the birth of their son, the time comes for him to descend into the underworld and reign as king over the dead and sleeping. 
Her subjects continue to honor her and bask in the glory that is Her. 
Eventually She plays an important role in modern religions. Although forgotten in modern times ISIS will always grace the pages of the golden age of Egypt.

22 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Great story, Michael!

PK HREZO said...

Wow! What a twisted piece of mythology. Totally wicked. It drew me in. I've always love the name Isis too. Would make a great name for a cat. :)

Brenda Drake said...

I is for incredible! Love this bit about Isis. But crazy, she's a major necrophiliac, isn't she? LOL Good job! :D

Danette said...

I love egyptian mythology and egyptian archeology. I have a collection of things, gifts mostly, that are related to both subjects so I obviously enjoyed your post very much! Thanks Michael!

Heather said...

I love Isis! What a great way to introduce her, elegant writing for an elegant figure in history. Loved it!

Shari said...

Wow. I don't really like mythology, but I couldn't stop reading. Good job.

Ciara said...

I love mythology. :) Just stopping in to see how the challenge is going.

Arlee Bird said...

Weird stuff, but most mythology usually is. Good to see your ranks of followers growing.


Lee
Tossing It Out
Twitter hashtag: #atozchallenge

N. R. Williams said...

Isis...I think she is the first liberated woman. But her choice in men is questionable. LOL
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

Hart Johnson said...

Oh, I like this. It's funny, I could have sworn it was a Native American (Mayan or Aztec) story for a while there--the stories of the beginning of life in the warmer climates have so much overlap.

Jo Schaffer said...

The original Gold Member. (=

I love reading ancient writings and stories. Particularly, Egyptian, Greek, Hebrew and Ancient American. Very cool.

Susan Oloier said...

Very informative. My son (6) is fascinated with Egypt right now. I think I will save this until he is a bit older.
Your blog is so great!

The Words Crafter said...

I used to watch a show on Saturday mornings called ISIS. It was obviously nothing like the real mythology!!!!

Beautiful writing and twisted/fun read :)

Robyn Campbell said...

Oh Michael. Poor Isis. Unbelievable. She did NOT know how to pick her men. :-)

Talei said...

Love it! She's determined and feisty, and she will have her man in the end! I especially like the gold and wax... ;-)

Another nicely written piece, Michael. Well done! x

Donea Lee said...

I always find Egyptian lore fascinating! Lovely history lesson, Michael. Thanks! :)

erica and christy said...

Okay, that was a little "eewy" for me, but I do like the name Isis. :)
erica

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Egyptian mythology has always been an interest to me. Great post

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Elegant prose to wrap around the mysterious, eternal Isis. She just wouldn't give up, would she? Great job, Roland

Nicki Elson said...

THAT was cool! The might Isis. :)

RaShelle Workman said...

Hi Michael. Great post. Isis is such a great name.

Anonymous said...

Goodness that is a creepy thought. It reminds me of the book I'm reading Room, where a woman is abducted and kept locked prisoner in his outhouse for years by someone. :O)