Saturday, April 16, 2011

"N"-EVER IGNORE A NYMPH OR FAIRY .... IT MAY BE THE LAST THING YOU DO!


Good Saturday all. We are now at the end of the second full week of the A-Z challenge. I must say this IS quite the challenge. I had no idea I would be putting so much effort into each post. But I always start what I finish and I refuse to let the quality of my entries falter. With that said, I hope you enjoy today's entry. As with the others I put my own individual spin on this story. And, no, Nymph is not more word, although it is heavily featured.

In a forest glenn a sun-kissed waterfall twinkles and cascades over jagged rocks into a tranquil sapphire pool. Nymphs and fairies glide along the surface, dancing to an unheard song. 
A flaxen-haired youth approaches. He smiles. A smile so captivating the nymphs come out of their reverie to stare at the stranger. With each one of his steps the fairies sigh and beckon to him.
The nymphs and fairies line up along the pond’s edge. All flirting for the young man’s attention. In a voice that can charm a spider into giving up flies, he introduces himself and asks about exquisite beauty before him. “I have never laid eyes on such a heart stopping scene.
Swooning, none of the mystical ladies could answer him. He meanders around the pond and kneels at the edge. The stillness of the clear, blue water reflected every breathtaking detail.
Mesmerized, he gazed into the liquid mirror. His breathe escapes him. “Could this image be mine?” he whispers. Revived, the nymphs and fairies zoom over to him and tug at his hair, sleeves, and back. Ignoring them, he stares into turquoise eyes framed by long, thick lashes. 
Hissing buzzes in his ears followed by assaults to his face. He swats his hand making contact with several fairies, hurting them. The others pick up the injured and dart away. 
Hungry and thirsty he reaches into his canvas bag and takes out food and drink. Nourished, he stretches out and falls asleep.
Hours later, the nymphs return. They place beside him a goblet made of etched gold filled with sweet nectar. Clasping hands, they dash into the nearest tree and wait.
The warmth of the morning sun wakes the young man. Stretching, he sits up and notices the goblet. “How thoughtful.” He raises the goblet. “To this enchanting place.” He takes a deep sip. An unnatural compulsion to look at himself takes over ....
After three days of reflection, the youth passes. Upon his last breath, the fairies and nymphs gather around him, tears flowing from their eyes. The fairies sprinkle his body with glittery fairy dust as the nymphs’ lyrical voices chant their agony. 
His body dissolves into the earth and with a burst of bright light, long spikes of emerald shoot from the ground. Between each spear a stem rises as a bud forms and blossoms into the first Narcissus. Thousands more yellow and white trumpets announce their arrival and blanket the edge of the pond. A subtle scent perfumes the air and the nymphs and fairies take flight. 

I   hope   you   all   have   a   fun   weekend!


40 comments:

PK HREZO said...

Oh I love it! A perfect faerie scene. Summer did nymph for her N word today too.

Have a wonderful weekend, Michael! Peace and love!

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Who could resist using "nymph" for their N word? Your font changed, Michael. Having Blogger troubles? Have a great Saturday, Roland

Laura said...

I felt like I was right there - lovely piece Michael
Lx

The Words Crafter said...

Oh, this was lovely! Your imagery was captivating, wow. Well done!

Robyn Campbell said...

Beautiful, Michael. You have such a flair for descriptions. Your writing pulls a reader in and won't let go. Wonderful! :-)

Author Joshua Hoyt said...

This is wonderful. I will be reading it to my kids. Such a fun story.

Summer Ross said...

I adored this Michael! Very vivid imagery, nicely written and I like how things followed through the plot. This piece was mesmerizing :)

Rose Cooper said...

Wow! This is fantastic! You really brought this to life. LOVE it!!

Sand Castles and Snow Forts said...

Following from the A-Z. Looking forward to more!!!!

Southpaw said...

Very cool piece.

Jo Schaffer said...

Enchanted by your prose.
Narcisistic people...not so much. (=

none said...

Wow I love this piece!!
You are very talented.
Nymph is such a great choice for "N."

Anonymous said...

"His body dissolves into the earth and with a burst of bright light" -- great line!

Marjorie said...

Great play on the faerie legends where they steel people away. Poor young man never had a chance.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Goodness, Michael, you have an amazing imagination. I love those spring flowers. What a vision!

Monti
NotesAlongTheWay

Talei said...

Oh, wonderful imagery! I wish I were there beside the pond myself watching this lovely scene. ;-)

Unknown said...

I love fairies...I believe :)Great post!

Brenda Drake said...

N is for NICE! Loved this piece - so beautifully written. It's great lesson for humility as well. :)

Elliot Grace said...

...loved the opening scene. A wonderful photo of imagery:)

Well done, Michael!

EL

Jeana said...

Another great piece!

Bluestocking Mum said...

I could picture this in my minds eye Michael. As a little girl I always believed in nymphs and faeries at the bottom of the garden...

You are right about how much work is involved btw - I can't get round to everyone I'd like and am getting nothing else done. But like you I won't give in!

Enjoy the spring weekend.

warm wishes
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your scene with all of us.

I'm starting up a 'Critiquing Crusaders' program, where participants in the Second Crusade can find other writers to exchange critiques with or form critiquing circles. If you're interested, come by The Kelworth Files to check it out!

dolorah said...

I think this is my favorite so far. Its hard to tell b/c they've all been so good.

A perfect story for the Narcisus. Such a beautiful flower too.

........dhole

Martha said...

Finally had some time to visit some A-Zers this evening. I really need to take vacation time from work when these challenges come along!

Hope you are having a great weekend! I'm a new follower :-)

Jemi Fraser said...

What a terrific scene - very vivid! :)

Denise Covey said...

Painting word pictures again Michael. Great work. "Reverie' is the spelling.

Denise<3

Stuart Lloyd said...

Hi Michael! Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm loving your creative writing and your blog. I look forward to reading more.

Grandpa said...

Mesmerizing, but I find it difficult to read the tiny fonts.

Thanks for stopping by at The Farm, Michael. I'm a little behind myself, so I better get on with my N.

Grandpa
Life on The Farm

Ellie Garratt said...

Oh, wow. That was brilliant!

Ellie Garratt

N. R. Williams said...

Dangerous to ignore those ladies as you said. Nice post. I'll never look at those flowers the same way again.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

Nicki Elson said...

Cleverly told. Love the image of fairies trying to save Narcissus from his fate. Brilliant ending with the Narcissus sprouting from where he disintegrated.

(Yes, this is proving quite the challenge...as you can tell from my comments that come later and later. We can commiserate over our b-day drinks in May. ;))

Gujjari said...

Lovely summer scene. Wonderful post.

I am following your blog from now.

Please pass by my blog and give your valuable comments. If you like my blog, please follow my blog.

With warm welcome,
http://mydaughterdreams.blogspot.com

Akoss said...

That was a lovely read. :)
You have a great week end as well.

Not So Simply Single said...

Beautiful blog...

I will be back!

Lisa

Regina said...

This was a very vibrant description of the nymphs and faeries. I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks for the flavor burst.

Trisha said...

My favourite Greek goddess was Artemis, and she had nymphs all around ;)

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Beautiful entry, Michael!

Susan Oloier said...

Michael, you are so right. I love this entry! Sorry it took all weekend to get to it (outdoor chores and planting). In my memoir, I referred to the mtn in the pic for my "N" entry as Narcissus starting at itself in a pool of water. Kinda freaky.
Just adore your writing!

alberta ross said...

I do hope no fairie person was killed in the making of this lovely peice!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous! :O)