Thursday, April 14, 2011

L for LOVE THIS COMMUNITY!!!

Welcome friends to another post for the exciting A-Z challenge. It's been such fun meeting new friends and enjoying such unusual and interesting themes throughout the blogosphere.


With so much blog LOVE forever present, I have decided to do a touching scene based on my first novel Amber and the Whispering Willows. As many of you already know I'm featuring flash fiction with a riddle twist.  I do hope you all enjoy it.


Set high on a hill with a view of the fountains and lake, hundreds of white lights illuminated the circular drive as a limousine drove up to the entrance of the Helmsdale’s finest country club. 

In the trees, thousands of tiny twinkling lights welcomed guests as they entered into lobby. Two eleven-year-old girls waved their goodbyes to their beaming parents and dashed toward the dressing room; the smaller girl carrying a mysterious package.

Excited voices echoed, adding to the tension. Amber and Nina maneuvered their way through the countless others, to find a quiet spot to prepare for this evening’s event.

As Amber reached for her costume, Nina jumped in front of her. 

“I have a surprise for you, Amber. Now, please, don’t get mad, but I wanted this to be the most magical night of your life.” 

Amber faced Nina; she held a wrapped box tied with a blue satin ribbon. She handed the box to Amber. “I had it made for you — I hope you like it.” Nina blushed.

“Nina, you are by far the most wonderful friend a girl could ever have — I just don’t know what to say?”

“You’ve said way too much already. Just open it?”

Amber untied the bow and took off the lid. She couldn’t believe her eyes. Nestled inside was  a peau de sois leotard in the softest, paler-than-pale blue. The matching tutu, swept with what looked like stardust woven into the silk French tulle, reflected brilliant facets of light. 

“I couldn’t let you dance in white like the rest of us; you must always wear some shade of blue. It gives you grace,” Nina said, choking with emotion.

A tear streamed down Amber’s face. “What would I ever do without you?” she whispered.

“You’ll never know.” 


Tomorrow's entry will be part of Wendy Tyler Ryan's Blogfest for her one year Blogaversary. So be prepared for a macabre post. We must use chosen dark words to create our entry. I have no idea what I'm doing yet, but it should be interesting. So don't forget to drop by tomorrow. You won't want to miss it.
This dancer can certainly pass for Amber.

21 comments:

Unknown said...

Blogloving you right back. As usual your words create beautiful pictures in my mind. Looking forward to tomorrows post.

jkraus8464 said...

Beautiful wonderful images. And will def be back tomorrow. I am recovering from a old and what better way to feel better?

Robyn Campbell said...

Michael, you have given me beautiful illustrations in my head. And that is something I needed today. You my friend, are the king of flash fiction with a twist.

Can't wait to see what you do tomorrow. :-)

Summer Ross said...

Vivid imagery Michael and I adore the fairy at the end!

Cherie Reich said...

A lovely piece with great imagery and tenderness!

Unknown said...

Great excerpt. The dancer girl is too cute. Thanks for sharing!

Heather said...

What beautiful imagery and a lovely glimpse at a sweet friendship. I can hardly wait to read your entry for the next blogiversary!

Jessica Bell said...

The imagery in this is just stunning! Nice work!

Hart Johnson said...

Awww--they're so sweet! And back atcha with the blog love! This really IS a fabulous supportive community, eh?

Susan Oloier said...

What can I say, I am never disappointed when I stop by your blog for a cyber visit. (Cue applause).

Talei said...

Aw, sweet post, Michael. I love this one. ;-)

Golden Eagle said...

Wonderful post! :) It sounds like they have such a great friendship.

I'll definitely be back tomorrow.

N. R. Williams said...

Enjoyed your story and cute ballerina at the end. Thanks for your kind words.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

Unknown said...

Loving your excerpts.

You're right, the blog community is wonderful.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Michael,

Your word imagery is remarkable! Thank you.

Monti
NotesAlongTheWay

Denise Covey said...

I'm about to jump in the car and head to my own little Florida so thought I's come by. Great post. Tomorrow should be different!

Denise<3

Anonymous said...

Awh what a softie you are! :O)

Wendy Tyler Ryan said...

This was really nice, Michael, I really liked it.

Looking forward to your "M" post.

Charmaine Clancy said...

What a sweet portrayal of friendship :)
Wagging Tales - Blog for Writers

Nicki Elson said...

"You'll never know." Beautiful.

Brenda Drake said...

L is for Lucky to know you, Michael. This is so sweet. I have a friend that I'm really close to and I thought of her while reading this. Love the last line, it put a tear in my eye. ;)