Wednesday, April 27, 2011

WHAT WORD WILL WE WITNESS .... AND CONGRATS TO CAROL OF ARTSY CAROL FAME! ALL THE BEST WITH ANDREA BROWN AGENCY!

We are down to the final posts of the A-Z challenge. I would like to thank all my loyal friends old and new. You have been wonderful commenting with such blog love and affection. I just want you ALL to know just how much I appreciate it.


Here is another intriguing excerpt from my first novel. I hope you all enjoy it. At the end is another a debut illustration from the book...  


An unexpected icy wind blew. The hummingbirds took flight and disappeared. Amber shivered, weakening and feeling faint. What’s happening? Out of the corner of her eye she noticed something flutter — it was the strange electric blue monarch. 

“This is the second time you watched me. What do you want?” 

The butterfly beat its wings. It spun with lightning speed and came to an abrupt stop. A little fairy with electric blue hair and wings faced her, smiling.Amber stared in shock.

“Aaaamberrrr,” the fairy breathed, and then she buzzed off in a flash of blue. 

Amber shook her head not believing what had just happened. She still felt a bit queasy. Did I just see a real fairy? 

Something rustled beside her within the wild flowers. Two black opalescent eyes sparkled. 

“Jasper! I’m so happy to see you.” 

He hopped onto the rock next to her.

“Oh, Jasper, I’ve got to tell you how crazy it’s been these past few weeks.” She told him about Nina and Mrs. Landau’s gifts and about the time the gale force wind blew up the ballet studio. 

Jasper raised his long ears; he almost looked as if he was smiling. 

Amber told him about her dream. His eyes grew large. Anger appeared in them and it frightened her. He lowered his ears and flashed his eyes.

“Jasper, a few minutes before you arrived, an icy wind blew and then this butterfly turned into a fairy. Do you have any idea what’s going on?”

He jumped off the rock and viewed his reflection in the pond. Jasper signaled Amber to join him. It looked like it always did, like clear emerald glass. Amber peered into the pond. A woman’s crystal blue eyes reflected back at her and she smiled. 

Amber almost fainted. 

After regaining her strength, Amber glanced at the woman and realized without a doubt that the beautiful woman had to be her mom.

“Jasper, I don’t understand. What’s happening?” 

The water rippled, returning Amber’s reflection. “Please don’t go!” Amber pleaded. 

“In time,” whispered  through the trees on invisible wings.

“In time?” she muttered. She looked at Jasper, searching for answers. She didn’t know what to make of it.

Amber sat for a few moments and collected her thoughts. Why did my mom appear in the pond and not in person? I don’t understand.

Jasper nudged her. Out of habit, she stroked his fur. Its softness felt soothing, she wanted to stay longer, but it was time to go.  

Amber found herself in front of her house, but didn’t remember walking home. As she stepped up the drive, tears flowed down her cheeks. It’s time for some answers.


Amber viewing her mother for the first time... another of my chapter illustrations for Amber and the Whispering Willows.

23 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Did you do the illustration? Nice!

PK HREZO said...

Oh I love it! My first novel was about faeries too. And wow I have to go congratulate Carol! That's fanatastic news!

Jen said...

Another great excerpt. Nice picture!

Summer Ross said...

I really liked your descriptions- I always do. My favorite part is the fairy saying her name- How awesome! Your drawing is very beautiful Michael.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Wonderful, Michael! You are so gifted!

Thank you for loving Vienna and telling me in your comment!

Monti
NotesAlongTheWay

Anonymous said...

Nice scene! And I love the picture.

Anonymous said...

Lovely excerpt and lovely art!!!! I've enjoyed following you on this A to Z challenge--so sad it's coming to a close.

Wendy Tyler Ryan said...

Really wonderful excerpt, Michael. I'll be back for cake on Friday.

N. R. Williams said...

Intriguing. I'd like to know what happens next.

I have an announcement for my W post today. If you have time come by.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

Elana Johnson said...

I think it's highly unfair that you can write AND draw. Just sayin'. :)

Luana Krause said...

Congrats on your story...nice work. I love the illustrations as well. Fairies make me smile...

Marjorie said...

What a fabulous bit of fantasy you have here. I just love the names of your characters too.

Susan Oloier said...

Michael, I am so sorry I have not been around to read your beautiful posts. Thank you for painting such amazing word pictures. And the illustration is stunning.

Heather said...

The more exerpts you tease us with the more I want to read! And yes, huge congrats to Carol!

Hart Johnson said...

So is this 'In Time' where your blog title comes from? It is a nice scene... a lot of wonder to it.

Anonymous said...

So cool that you can illustrate your own work. Mine: stick figures.

Southpaw said...

Nice scene and beautiful illustration.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

oo, I want to know more. Great illustration too.

Spenc said...

Having a hard time deciding I'm I'm more impressed with the excerpt or the illustration. Great post.

Brooke R. Busse said...

Okay, I'm confused and the question I'm about to ask is probably stupid but why is this your last A-Z post if it's only W? Or did I misunderstand? Always possible and highly probable.

Don't forget, I'm posting your interview tomorrow. ^^

Nicole said...

It looks like your series is coming along well, which is great! I'd like to get back into drawing and illustration....it's so freeing. I wonder how you find the time to do both...write novels and illustrate them. Keep up the momentum!

The Madlab Post

Angela said...

I'm so glad I finally got to your blog. Maybe I'll feed your fish for awhile.

dolorah said...

Michael; you know this is your true potential as a writer?

seriously, I can see myself buying this book - illustrations required.

It was a good idea you joined this challenge. Your writing talents have been shown in their best light here.

.......dhole