Friday, April 29, 2011

Y.... BECAUSE IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!!! PLEASE JOIN ME FOR A PIECE OF VIRTUAL CAKE.... O CALORIES!




Today I step over to another decade in my life. I have learned many many things over the course of my like and I hope to learn even more in my remaining years. If we don't keep learning and growing we will become stale and obsolete. So my advice to all of you my wonderful blogging friends, keep your minds and hearts open, so we can all grow together.

As promised in yesterdays' post I have a scrumptious birthday cake for all of you to partake in. There is enough plenty for everyone and even seconds so did in! You will not gain an once! Happy birthday to my fellow Taurus' and for the others who share my birthday. I know of at least four others. I also have another charming flash fiction piece for you. Take a piece of cake and I hope you enjoy reading it as you are munching. Only one more A-Z post left.... 





Here's you piece!



Moist, humid air surrounds a treeless lake where a delicate fairy plants the tiniest of seeds into the fertile ground. Bright sunlight illuminates the platinum in her hair. She flutters to another spot a few feet away from the first and plants another seed.
She looks up in wonder at the sheer expanse of the shimmering water. “Why me?” Her eyes dart across the water. “This is such a monumental task for one little fairy,” she squeaks.
As brilliant orange, pink, magenta, and indigo streaks the sky, the fairy smoothes her hand over the final seed. “Until tomorrow.” She wipes her dirty hands on her muddy tunic and buzzes toward her home in the tropical forest located a few miles away.
Hours later, a band of light pierces the sky as the tiny fairy lands at the edge of the lake. She reaches into her pocket and pulls out an ancient reed punched with five holes.
“Oh Mother Earth please except my song,

My kind has played this reed so long.

For it is a fairy’s destiny,

My heart is humbled as you can see.”

She lifts the reed and plays a high-pitched tune. Over and over the melody never falters as one by one each seed sprouts a fine emerald stem.

Upon each minute the sprout grows strong and thickens with a dark, gnarly bark. Wooden fingers stretch to the sun as thousands of bright emerald leaves pop into sight.
A proud smile crosses her face, and with the last blow, bright, lemon-yellow petals twist and curl into a star. She drops the reed back into her pocket and inhales a cleansing breath. An intoxicating aroma, similar to Jasmine, wafts through the trees.
A buzzing sound echoes across the lake. The fairy watches with determination as her mentor approaches. She inspects every bark, branch, and petal. With a motherly smile, she flits over to the little fairy.
“My dear, no Ylang Ylang tree grove has ever looked or smelled sweeter. You pass!” 


42 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

Oh yum! Happy Birthday, Michael! :o)

mooderino said...

Happy Birthday, Michael! 21?

Unknown said...

Yum! Happy Birthday!!! I hope it's a fabulous one!

Nicki Elson said...

Happy Birthday, Michael!!! Whoop it up big, Taurus Boy. ;) This decade is a good one - a bit more mellow but no less exciting than the previous two, so enjoy!

I've realized that your flower fics are my favorites. :) And flowers & fairies together? Fuggedaboudit.

M.J. Fifield said...

Oh, virtual cake is the best no calorie cake out there.

Best wishes for a very happy birthday!

Cherie Reich said...

Mmm...cake. Oops, sorry got distracted there for a minute. ;)

Happy Birthday!!

Heather M. Gardner said...

Another great piece and the cake was good too!
Thanks for keeping us so entertained Michael!
HMG

Danette said...

Happy Birthday Michael! I hope you have something wonderful planned for your b-day!!(I'd sing~ but the notes don't quite translate well in typewritten form). But consider yourself sung to!

Summer Ross said...

A fairy happy birthday to you Michael- ooo- yummy cake!

Very cute story- I could picture the scene well, though it had a Disney Tinkerbell feel in the beginning.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Happy birthday, dude! And I'm okay with calories.

Jen said...

My favorite kind of cake!!!! Happy birthday Michael! I hope you have a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

¡Feliz cumpleaƱos!

Jeana said...

Happy Birthday--the cake was delicious and perfect since I didn't run this morning! Another great story!

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

All cake has zero calories Michael. You just have to learn to read from the right side and not the left. Instead of 4000 it becomes 0004 which is a helluva lot better. Perspective defines life!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday,Michael, and thanks for the cake. It was delicious!!

Author Joshua Hoyt said...

Happy Birthday and thanks for the 0 calorie cake. I can imagine it melting on my tongue:)

Patricia A. Timms-McGehee said...

Happy birthdat to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Michael, happy birthday to you!

Have a great day and don't forget to make a wish before you blow out your candles

Unknown said...

I definitely wasn't guessing Ylang ylang! Was thinking of Y-named fairies...
Happy, happy birthday!!

PK HREZO said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Thanks so much for the cake. Calorie free is my fave kind. ;)

Hope you have an excellent day and weekend celebrating your new decade of life!

T.D. McFrost said...

Thanks for the cake!

Happy BIRTHDAY MICHAEL!

WOOOHOOOOOO! :d

Marjorie said...

*sings* Happy birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy BIIIRThday dear MIIIchael! Happy birthday to you!

Golden Eagle said...

I hope you have a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :D

I love your "Y" word!

Deniz Bevan said...

Happy birthday! Thank you for the yummy cake :-)

Roland D. Yeomans said...

The great thing about cyber-cake is NO calories! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Michael. Roland

dolorah said...

Happy birthday Michael.

This was a lovely little story.

......dhole

erica and christy said...

*clears throat* HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU happy birthday to you HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR MICHAEL happy birthday to you! (cha cha cha!) hope you are having a lovely birthday! thanks for the cake and the story! (we have a cupcake over at our blog for you!) christy

IanBontems said...

Hey, Happy Birthday!

Nice story, too. Hope you have a great day.

Unknown said...

Hmmmm, Mr. Bull...Ok lets start again.
Dear Mr Bull,
My warmest or should I say heart-filled wishes on this day. I know you and I know of your kind. Your intuition makes you especially empahatic towards others and your imagination sometimes can lead you astray. You are easily hurt but would never admit it. you are a man Bull afterall. You seek after the earthly pleasures in life.Sometimes you are so dangerous and fool hearty but you feel guilty soon after. You get easily lost in good food and wine and the comforts of life but you struggle like a bull, like fernando searching for something to calm the beast. A simple wonderful flower in a field. Contact me Michael if you want me to do your chart. I meant the real thing :) Happy Birthday and thank you for being you .

Arlee Bird said...

Happy Birthday! Your advice was good.


Lee
Tossing It Out

Southpaw said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Thanks for the cake and the story. Best wishes to you as you meet a new decade in your life.

Elliot Grace said...

...lovin the birthday scribbles;) Blow out them candles, Michael, and have a great night. Well written as always.

EL

Grandpa said...

Happy Birthday Michael! Love the cake and the story!

Grandpa
Life on The Farm

Denise Covey said...

Happy Birthday Michael! Have a great decade. Thanks for the calorie-free cake. Twas delish!

Denise<3


A - Z, Y and Z

Laura said...

Happy birthday - hope you had an amazing day. Loved the story, very gentle
Lxxx

Heather said...

Happy birthday Michael! I hope you had an excellent day! Sorry I wasn't by yesterday to wish you happy birthday but I was working over time. Thanks for the virtual cake. ;)

N. R. Williams said...

Happy belated birthday. I'm sorry I'm late. Love the fairy story.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

Wendy Tyler Ryan said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Michael. If you just turned the decade I think you are - it was my favorite age. If I could be any age again it would be yours. Not too young and not too old.

By the way, all birthday case has no calories real or cyber - it's the rule!

Theres just life said...

Sorry to be late to the party. I love the fairy story.

Happy Birthday.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Oh, Michael, I missed your birthday yesterday! I hope you had loads of fun at Epcot! I was glued to the TV, watching the Wedding. :)

Have a wonderful rest of the weekend!

Rachael Harrie said...

Hey Michael, Happy Birthday for Friday! Hope you had an awesomely fantastic day. Thanks for the cake :)

Hugs,

Rach

Jo Schaffer said...

Hope your birthday was wonderful. (= That makes you a Taurus. Fabulous.

ali cross said...

Michael! Happy, Happy birthday! I hope this year brings you much happiness and joy ~ you surely deserve it! ♥