Wednesday, April 30, 2014

HAS THIS EVER HAPPENED TO YOU?...

Jillian rummages through the house, looking for something to satisfy her craving. After eight months of hell, carrying her future daughter, nothing seems to do the trick. She waddles into the living room and glares at her husband.

"Well?"

He looks up with bleary eyes. "Well, what?"

"Do you really need to ask."

"Not ANOTHER craving?" He rubs his eyes. "I only had three hours sleep last night. You're wearing me out."

"I'm wearing you out...ha! When you're as big as a beach ball, then we'll talk. Remember...you did this to me!"

"I what? You're the one who badgered me to start a family."

She glares at him again. "That's not the point. The least you can do is get me a snack when I want one. I'm eating for two, you know"

"More like five," he mutters."

"What did you say?!"

"Nothing. I'll go." He stands, stretches and heads into the bedroom. A moment later he comes back out and sits in the chair. After tying his laces, throwing on his heavy winter coat, he steps toward the door. "What this time?"

Jillian smirks. "Surprise me."



*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

Winds howl as Jeff scrapes off the three inches of snow accumulated on the surface of his car. Stiff, frozen fingers unlock the door. 

He cranks the engine. 

Nothing.

He tries again.

Still nothing.

"She's gonna really flip out. Please start...PLEASE."

He cranks the key once more. 

The starter clicks, but the engine remains lifeless.

"Shit. What now. Nothing's open after ten in Ann Arbor. What the hell do I do now."

Jeff whips out his phone. Clicks onto the internet. Scrolls through a few pages of restaurants and calls a few...

"All closed." He bangs the steering wheel. He makes it to Z ...

"Hmm. Zingermans'. A Jewish deli...Why not?! That'll surprise the hell out of her." 

He keys in the numbers. 

One ring...

Two rings...

Three rings...

"Zingerman's"

"Please tell me you're and you deliver."

"Yes, Sir. Untill eleven.

"You saved my life. Thanks..."


*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

Has this ever happened to you? Craving something different?

Don't live in Ann Arbor, Michigan?...

No worries.

The solution is easier than you think...

Zingerman's Guide to Good Eating

by

Ari Weinzeig


"Hailed by the New York Times, Esquire, and the Atlantic Monthly as one of the best delicatessens in the country, Zingerman’s is a trusted source for superior ingredients — and an equally dependable supplier of information about food. Now, Ari Weinzweig, the founder of Zingerman’s, shares two decades of knowledge gained in his pursuit of the world’s finest food products: oils, vinegar, and olives; bread, pasta, and rice; cheeses and cured meats; seasonings like salt, pepper, and saffron; vanilla, chocolate, and tea."



Now you can have your very own copy...

Another fun find from Goodreads, this book not only gives you terrific insight into food but how to really enjoy it.

Amazon: Link


CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE IN THE A-Z...WE MADE IT!!!!!!!

I hope all enjoyed my intros this passed month. I totally enjoyed discovering new books to feature and hope you don't hate me too much because of your INFLATED TBR lists and DEFLATED pockets...

I'd also like to thank ALL OF YOU for you warm and caring wishes for my birthday... I had an amazing day.

I hope you all have FUN, hopping around and playing catch up. That's certainly what I'll be doing for the rest of the week! 

HAPPY HUMP DAY.... AND A-ZING!

36 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Michael - you made it having had that commitment .. so pleased for you. Zingermans sounds delicious ... and I'm getting towards lunchtime but not yet ..

Sounds like a marriage made in heaven - but not for much longer?!

It's been a fun time but I look forward to catching up a little more ... always good to get to the end .. cheers Hilary

Natalie Aguirre said...

Awesome choice. I actually worked with Ari at another restaurant years ago. So excited for his success at Zingerman's.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Natalie - wow!
We made it. Another year completed.
All ready for the Reflection post on Monday?

mshatch said...

Great end to the challenge! And congrats for making it all the way :)

Melissa said...

'More like five...'
That man has a death wish! xD

This is one of my favorite intros. Great job!
Congrats on finishing the challenge. :)

Tina said...

That was very cute. I hope he picked corned beef reuben...nice man. I never had pregnancy cravings, just migraines ;-(
Great job on the Challenge and for helping so many people sell more of their "babies".
Tina @ Life is Good
A to Z Team @ Blogging From A to Z April Challenge 2014

Anonymous said...

Congrats on making your A to Z interesting Michael pleased you were able to do it.
Yvonne.

Bish Denham said...

Okay, I'd like to eat there. Here's to another challenge under our belts. Did we gain any weight?

Robin said...

My "F" for the challenge was my friend Mary. She writes a food blog and just recently got a job as Food Editor at The Toledo Blade. BUT, she lived in Ann Arbor for the last 20? years and converted to Judaism a while ago. She is very into Jewish food. I wonder if she knows about this book? Now, I am going to have to point it out to her and find out!

Julie Flanders said...

Loved your intros as always, Michael. I'm in awe that you managed to do one for every letter and they were all so fantastic!

So glad you had a great birthday!

Michelle Wallace said...

Thanks for introducing us to a whole batch of new books, Michael!
You aced the challenge - AGAIN!

LOL to inflated TBR lists and deflated pockets...

VR Barkowski said...

Congratulations on finishing the A to Z, Michael! I never doubted that you'd succeed. And fun intro on Zingerman's. Just in time for lunch, too! :)

VR Barkowski

cleemckenzie said...

I'm very thankful for any restaurant that delivers, especially when I'm hankering for pickles! Great way to wind up this challenge, Michael. Congratulations on doing such a great job.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I love the eclectic way you choose to highlight important books

Rachna Chhabria said...

Michael, I like the way you highlight the books.

Rumer Haven said...

Zat intro waz a zinger indeed! I agree with Melissa that Jeff better hope Jillian didn't hear what he muttered under his breath...not if he doesn't want his balls added to Zingerman's menu... Happy belated birthday, Michael, and congrats on completing A to Z! Woohooo!!!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I have enjoyed your intros. Thanks again for including me this year. You put so much work into the challenge. Because of you my TBR pile grew.

Unknown said...

So glad to hear you had a good birthday--I'll miss your daily posts.

Laura Clipson said...

That was a great introduction, poor guy!
Congratulations on making it through the A to Z, I've loved your intros :)

Liz Blocker said...

LOL, I loved the intro!!! Congratulations to you, too, Michael!!

Jo said...

Not much use to me, I live in Canada. I often get cravings, but not being pregnant, I can't send someone out for it.

Glad you too made it to the end. Enjoyed the blurbs you wrote.

Denise Covey said...

Hi Michael. I hope you got my birthday wishes through Google+. They are very good at letting us know when birthdays occur. Glad to hear you had a great day. Don't know how you fitted it in!

Great last entry. Thank God it's over, huh! Or did you enjoy it so much you're going to keep posting every day.

Now there's another writing project over at my place. You may have heard of it, but if not, pop over and say hi. You'll have a lot of gems to add to the e-book.

Cheers my friend.

Denise

Denise Covey said...

Actually forgot to comment on the scenario. This is a well-used scene in novels. All I can think is why the heck does't she go and get her own ice cream, waffles, bananas...whatever she craves, but I guess in the snow you do send out the non-preggers one, hahahah.

Denise

LD Masterson said...

Yay! Congratulations on completing the A-Z.

When I was pregnant with our first, we were in Ohio and it was winter. I craved fresh pineapple. My hubby went crazy trying to find fresh pineapple. For my "craving" stage with number two, we were in Southern Cal in the summer. Fresh pineapple everywhere. I couldn't stand the stuff. I wanted hot fudge sundaes. Go figure.

Arlee Bird said...

I don't recall the mother of my children ever having extreme cravings, but I've certain heard of this. I've had some crazy cravings sometimes, but in L.A. you can always find places open. My wife has these weird cravings for fresh coconut (she's not pregnant) and sometimes we'll have to go find a street vendor who sells it.

Congratulations on finishing another Challenge. Great job!

Lee
An A to Z Co-Host
Tossing It Out

D.G. Hudson said...

I only had daytime cravings and it was for healthy stuff like Kiwi fruit and berries. Didn't crave anything weird. .

Loved this series, Michael, sorry to drop by so late. . .to say so. As for the book featured, enjoying food and taking time to savor it is something the French do well, too.

Unknown said...

Weird. I could have sworn I hit the publish button. If I comment twice, I apologize!

Great end to the Challenge and congrats on the big finish! I've loved the books you've highlighted!

Cheers,
Jen

Elizabeth Seckman said...

My husband got off lucky. I wasn't plagued with too many cravings, and the cravings I did have, I had in bulk so I kept myself well stock. Strawberries for baby 1; bananas for baby two; broccoli for three; and back to strawberries for 4!

JJ said...

Congratulations to everyone who completed the A-Z. I enjoyed reading as many entries as I could. Great group. congrats, Michael!

Jemi Fraser said...

Great job on the A-Z!!
I never had cravings when I was pregnant - I feel kind of cheated :)

Unknown said...

Congrats for surviving the A-Z!! I love the cover of the food book. It's very cheerful and amusing. I lived in NYC for years and really enjoyed the food there. Best food city in the world. :)

Stephanie Faris said...

Very well written! No, I haven't had cravings in a while...usually if I do, it's because someone is talking about something quite a bit.

Misha Gerrick said...

I've never had cravings that bad, but then, I've never been pregnant. :-D

Nick Wilford said...

Sounds like an enticing book. And the intro was great. I think many men can feel his pain. ;)

Stina said...

I've been craving peanut butter lately and I'm not pregnant. I craved mangoes when I was pregnant with #2. Fortunately it was mango season. Unfortunately, my son came out hating all fruit. Maybe my mango obsession caused that. lol

klahanie said...

Hi human, Michael,

Cravings for the alphabet
And what do you get
The A to Zed
Was all in your head
Now for a guide to good eating
Something heating
Pawhaps alphabet soup
Or alphabet poop.
Well done to you
This is true
I'm craving a doggy treat
That can't be beat.

Pawsitive wishes,

Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet superstar!