Tuesday, April 22, 2014

TIMING IS EVERYTHING...

The music from An iPod blasts through Mark’s ears. On his chest, the pages of an SAT book lay open to the English section. 

His head bops to the music and out of the corner of his eye a blue pinprick of light flickers.

He glances up and sees a strange girl with her back to him, rummaging through the papers on his desk. 

Mark Jumps off the bed and takes out the earbuds.

Am I hallucinating? She looks like an escapee from a Halloween party…but it’s November! Man is she gorgeous.

“Uh, who are you?” Mark asks.

She turns around and tosses her knee length, blonde braids behind her. The medieval, tight fitted dress scrapes the floor. She flashes a toothpaste smile at Mark.

“My name is Miranda.”

She’s gotta be a friend of my sister, Kate. Who else but of friend of hers would be in the house.

Miranda turns back around and continues to filter through the papers.

“Why are you doing that?” Mark asks.

“I am only perusing your papers.” She locks her eyes on his. “Do not fret.”

Perusing? Fret? I’m shocked a friend of Kate’s would use such words.

“Hey, this is my room. I don’t know how you got in here or what you think you’re doing. But—”

“Forgive me. I did not mean to offend you.” She shrugs. “I am unfamiliar with manners here.”

“I’m not offended.” She’s gotta be some kind of actress.

“May I have permission to look around this chamber?”

“Sure.” Okay. You’re hot, I’ll play along?

Miranda sweeps around the room pointing at different objects and asks questions about them.

She picks up a pen. “May I take this back with me?”

“You want a bic? To take back where?”

“I apologize, but I must return to Bodiam Castle in England.

This girl’s looney. “Do you know my dad…he’s a psychiatrist?”

“I do not know what that is. I assure you, I have not met your father. You are the only person from this time I have met.” She studies Mark's face.

“Do you think you traveled through time?” 

“You saw me appear. Did you not?”

“I must’ve been asleep. I had to be.”

“No matter. When I leave you will see me slip back in time. If the bic is your only one, perhaps I can take a book?” She picks up a physics book. “You have so many, surely you will not miss this one.”

She fades and slowly disappears.

“Hey! Wait! That’s my physics book.”
Whoa…breathe Mark.

Will Miranda return? 

What does she seek?

Screwing up Time

by

C.M. Keller





Miranda returns, seeking a secret ingredient and a book of recipes.

Unfamiliar to what Miranda requests, Mark must help her find both or she will die.

But there is only one way…


To travel back into the past through the colors of time.


What a very cool premise. Medieval meets present day. Time travel to save a girl a teen never met before…intriguing!

This is one book that’s definitely going on MY TBR list…

Thanks Connie for writing a truly interesting premise! 

I hope everyone is still enjoying the A-Z… just seven more letters left!

Have a TERRIFIC TUESDAY!


ON Amazon for only $0.99: Link

30 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I like their exchange. Dude, a hot girl just appeared in your room! You don't tell her to leave.

Connie Keller said...

Hey, Michael, what a wonderful surprise! Thanks so much for featuring Screwing Up Time.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Connie and Michael .. anything that gets an opportunity to travel through colours and into Medieval England and Bodiam Castle has my vote ... Screwing Up Time .. sounds a fun read .. firing up the imagination ...

Cheers to you both - Hilary

Connie Keller said...

Alex and Hilary, I'm glad the story piqued your interest.

Robin said...

I love time travel books....:D

River Fairchild said...

That was a great intro, Michael! Moving through colors for time travel...what an intriguing concept! I can see how anything she takes back would mess with the timeline. Love the title too!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Sounds like a great premise. Hope she brings back that physics books. They're expensive.

dolorah said...

That was a cool premise. I'd be freaked if someone appeared in my room and started rifling through my things.

debi o'neille said...

A great premise. You've got us wanting to read more. :-)
Deb@ http://debioneille.blogspot.com

David P. King said...

Love the love for Connie's book! :)

Bish Denham said...

Shapes of a Connecticut Yankee... only maybe not so humorous? Love it!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Oooh how exciting! I'll have to check Connie's book out!

D.G. Hudson said...

The protagonist seems to take it all in stride, but he is a teen. Hmmm, wonder why he's been singled out?

Well done, Michael, with a sensitivity toward the age group, when a 'hot' girl or guy is reason enough to take chances. . .

Connie Keller said...

Thanks so much, everyone, for all the book premise love!

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Oh my I love this cover! Michael, I don't know how you managed to do this for the entire month! Great job!

Rachna Chhabria said...

Miranda and Mark's story has intrigued me big time. I also love the title and the cover.

Unknown said...

What a creative concept!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a wonderful post and read,

Yvonne.

Jo said...

That's a new concept certainly. Moving through colours. One I shall be looking out for.

mooderino said...

Amazing what a guy will accept if the girl's good looking. Nice intro to an intriguing story.

mood
Moody Writing

Michelle Wallace said...

"To travel back into the past through the colors of time."
This idea gels with the cover image... really stirs my imagination...

Connie Keller said...

I want to give a shout out to my graphic artist who designed the cover--Tara Rimondi at tararimondi dot com. She is amazing to work with.

Lynda Dietz said...

Oooh, fascinating. I love time-travel stories.

mshatch said...

I read this! It was fun!

Connie Keller said...

Glad you liked it, Ms. Hatch!

shelly said...

Love the cover, too.

cleemckenzie said...

"Do not fret!" Perfect.

Nicki Elson said...

Hehe - his thoughts throughout the intro were adorable. Great premise and beautiful cover.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

You did a fine job with the intro. And Alex is right: you ask the good looking girl to stay awhile!

SK Anthony said...

A time travel story! Definitely not fretting over here, I shall peruse through its digital pages and find out what happens next!