Thursday, April 10, 2014

THE ICE-GIRL COMETH...

With the crack of a whip, the bright-eyed dogs line up. A young female voice calls out, “Mush!” and the team race off into the snow covered terrain.

A glint of silver flashes, catching Victoria’s eye. She steers her team of a dozen plus one toward another streak light.

As they approach, a boy waves his hand through the frosted air.

She pulls up beside him, jumps off the sled, and rushes to him. “Are you alright? What happened to you?”

He grinned at her and swallowed hard. “I lost my footing and kind of bounced down the hill. I think my ankle may be broken.”

Victoria smiles. “No worries. I’ll get you out of here.” She drags him onto the sled an straps him in with rope. As she finished tying the knot, the memory of her father plays through her mind. She still remembers his words echoing through her soul. “Always be prepared for an emergency.” Her heart grows heavy for a split second, remembering the last time she saw her dad alive.

A year…it’s only been a year?

She shakes her head and jumps on the sled next to her injured new friend.
An arctic wind kicks up the fresh powder and clings to her eyelashes and hair, veiling her head with a shimmering, opalescent glow.

Once more, “Mush!” rings from her lips and off they go…

As they continue the snow fall increases at an alarming rate.

Visibility is nonexistent.

With no shelter in sight, what will become of them?

As these two young teens battle for survival, will Victoria’s training be enough to fight the elements in this barren wilderness? 

ICE DOGS
by
Terry Lynn Johnson



All the odds are against it…

Amazon: Link

Whoa…now this sounds like an exciting tale…no, not the wagging kind…lol. I really love the premise of a young female teen hero. This is a fantastic book for every young teenage girl. Role models are so important and to find one with so much heart and excitement is a real gem.

Thanks Terry Lynn! And all the best with your exciting new book!

We are certainly winding up this week with some adventurous stories. Again I must stress, NOT TO BLAME ME for your full TBR lists. Please blame the authors!

As a final note, I just wanted to say I just got back in town and hope to catch up with everyone and I hope you understand my absence this past week.

Have a wonderful day everyone!



23 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Welcome home!
I'm going to blame you anyway. Wait, I already had this one on my iPad. Guess I can't.

mshatch said...

Loved this book and your intro :)

Frankie Miller said...

What a wonderful cover and vivid, visual introduction. All the best to Terry with the novel.

DEZMOND said...

I love the book, I own the book, and I pat it every night before going to bed :) And I cherish Terry's signature in it!

Bish Denham said...

I just read this book a few weeks ago. It's a great story. I passed on my copy to my local library.

Rachna Chhabria said...

I have heard so much about this book. I need to read it now.

Unknown said...

Good luck to Terry Lynn! You make a great intro Bro, one that makes me want to check out the book for sure :)

cleemckenzie said...

I have this book, and as soon as crazy April goes away, I hope to read it.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Michael - it does sound like a delightful read .. I was visualising as I read ... looks one I need to buy ..

Cheers and welcome back .. Hilary

Chrys Fey said...

The dog on that cover is adorable! I love movies about snow dogs/sledding, so I'm going to have to check out this book! :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

You did use Terry's book! Wonderful. I'm so glad she sent me a book and bookmarks. The cover is gorgeous.

David P. King said...

What an intense premise! I'm not sure i would survive that. :)

Laura Clipson said...

This sounds great!

Robin said...

I've read about this one before. Adding it to my TBR list.

D.G. Hudson said...

I like the play on words, Michael, and a story about dogs will always find an audience. Good luck Terry! That looks like a Huskie on the front, but I could be wrong. We had friends who bred a few.

D.G. Hudson said...

PS - I have a post on Ingres today. I thought his self portrait looked a bit like one of your pix, Michael. . .

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Sounds very exciting though I've had enough of the cold this year. I shivered a little reading your intro.

Anonymous said...

Excellent cover and post. Thanks.
Yvonne.

Michelle Wallace said...

Whenever I see that cover, my heart flips... what a beauty...

Jo said...

Sounds like a great tale (tail).

Glad you are back.

Unknown said...

Sounds great (no dog pun allowed).

Trisha said...

An exciting tail ... indeed :P

Deniz Bevan said...

Great intro! I really enjoyed this book. Someday I'd maybe like to try dogsledding...