Wednesday, March 7, 2018

WRITER"S BLOCK?...READ THE CLASSICS.....

Hi, All,

Welcome to another segment of the IWSG! Another month has whizzed by and so many things arise with the coming of Spring. Many in the north are still cold, but I did see spurts of warm weather! So, Spring is certainly on it's way. Spending time here in Florida, certainly does exude spring! Flowers and trees are in bloom and so is the high pollen count. ACHUU! Bless me. LOL. 

As most of you know, I haven't written much in a very long time, BUT I have been reading feverishly. And just let me say, if you have any kind of writer's block, READING DOES HELP! I have read several of the classics, Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, Tale of Two Cities, and even three of my favorites from Harry Potter. Let me just say, these authors know how to WRITE.... OF course the 19th cent. writers spend many a PAGE on description and although lovely in prose, it does weigh the story down a bit. BUT, also remember, back then there was no TV, no COMPUTERS, no STEREOS, and NO CARS... so what else did they have to do, but submerge themselves into that gorgeous prose. We as writers of the 21st century do have much to learn from them... Description, when used correctly, does pivot the reader into the author's world. WE just have to be careful we don't INFO dump.... weaving the description into dialogue and action makes for a wonderful read!

I have throughly enjoyed my reading time these past few months and I am currently reading another classic.... The Canterbury Tales.... Talk about description.... then add rhyme... it's an EXHAUSTING read, but once your get the timing the stories do pop off the page. We just have to be very patient and determined to carry on. However it is a slow read, but luckily a reader can stop after each tale and revisit again at another time and not have to worry about missing something. Each tale is a story within itself.

I am feeling lighter about the drudgery that life often brings us. A small weight has lifted and I am starting to feel more like myself and hope to be writing very, very soon. I actually did jot down a few ideas for new works.... EEK.... kind of scary, but it honesty believe it's time.

Once again I'd like to thank Alex and the other co-hosts this month~ It's always nice to vent our frustrations and to share insights and advice with our fellow writers... Try and pop over to Alex's blog for the latest and to visit other authors in the IWSG!

Always remember to pick up a CLASSIC when you find life is stressful and the blank page is staring at you....

Have a WONDEFUL day everyone and thanks so much for visiting! Always happy to see you here!

18 comments:

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi Michael, the earlier writers did rely heavily on prose, but nowadays its all about action, taking the story forward fast. Classics had their own unique charm.

I'm going to read To Kill a Mockingbird over the weekend. I've read it in school and have forgotten most of the story.

Hope you get some writing done.

writing and living by Richard P Hughes said...

Glad to see you're getting closer to writing again. I enjoy the classics, too. Right now I'm reading Slaughterhouse-5. What a story, and some of it makes me laugh out loud. Not many books do that.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Reading does inspire. And since I lack in description often, I need that reminder.
Glad you are feeling better!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I'm glad you're feeling more like yourself and getting some writing done. Wuthering Heights is one of my favorites. I only read what I was forced to read from Canterbury Tales in high school English class.

Julie Flanders said...

I'm so glad to read that you are feeling better. In spite of the pollen! Just reading that made me feel like I had to sneeze. I love spring but don't look forward to that aspect.
I've been reading TONS lately and I'm really enjoying it. Not classics, just whatever I feel like reading. That's been the good thing about my writing muse taking an extended vacation - I've enjoyed getting back to me reading habit. Always happy with my nose in a book. :)
Take care my friend!

Tyrean Martinson said...

I'm glad you're feeling better! Classics do have some masterful writing in them, but they can also be exhausting to read - especially Canterbury Tales. I love reading to celebrate but also to see what other people have done with language.
Thanks for sharing, Michael!

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Oh, the classics are a favorite pastime of mine! I think I know P&P, WH, & Emma by heart. I could also include Dracula and Frankenstein with these. I find reading frees my mind. Ooh, you’re reading CT! Love. Another tomb is The Count of Monte Cristo. And I actually read the entire thing. Phew... so glad you’re doing well.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I have a bunch of the classics on my shelf. Haven't opened one for a while, but I should take your advice. Glad ideas are coming your way again.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Glad you're feeling better. I used to read classics as a teen. I did not like the descriptions though the stories were good. I'm back into reading too but need a faster paced story.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I wonder how what I receive as submissions would compare to those classics.

I'm so glad you are feeling better.

Jemi Fraser said...

One of my favourite classics (albeit a more modern one) is Anne of Green Gables, but I've also enjoyed picking up Shakespeare & Chaucer a time or 2!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Michael - well done is all I can say - that is good news and yes I understand there's lots to learn from reading ... if we don't read - who will buy our books? Good to hear things are slowly working themselves out for you - take care and cheers to you and Hamlet - Hilary

Bish Denham said...

Love me some classics. Jane Eyre is one of my favorites! Glad your feeling better, certainly you sound more upbeat.

Diane Burton said...

Reading is a great way to fill the creative well. You can't write when it's empty. I don't have the patience to slog through some of the classics. I have to admit, I loved Jane Eyre. Hang in there. Lucky you to be where it's warm.

H. R. Sinclair said...

You make a great point about older writing and not having the TV and internet, etc. The description was needed to bring people to the place. Nowadays, we, of the most part, all have a pretty good idea of what everything looks like.

dolorah said...

I read Cider House Rules not long ago, and about drowned in all the description. And long off-shoots from the actual story. But I was glad I stuck with it. It does help me as a writer to know how much of that I can endure when I'm reading so I can gauge how much to cut in my writing. I am frequently impressed with the depth of story plots and characters in the classics. I like how they use words to draw imagery and emotion, not actions (hair flipping, blood running hot and cold).

Roland D. Yeomans said...

We are in the shorter attention span culture sadly. Yet, a well-told story can still rivet the mind. In THE SILENT HOUR, a wonderfully etched mystery, by Michael Koryta -- the description by a convicted murderer of a strange house built underground and the haunted woman who had it constructed is something that leaves you breathless.

I read poetry and prose of my favorite modern authors to jump start me -- though, like you, I have not written as much lately. :-)

Jay Noel said...

I had writer's block for 2 years, but it was due to stress. That wasn't fun. Reading was my escape, though. Still is!