Wednesday, June 21, 2017

JOURNEY THROUGH THE CROSSROADS OF LIFE...INVISIBLE BRIDGES...

Hi, All,



Welcome to the WEP Bloghop. Today the featured prompt is Bridges...

Certainly leaves a lot to the imagination, don't you think? The possibilities are endless. 

Leave it to my dear friends Denise Covey and Yolanda Renee to post Nilanjana Bose's wonderful idea. 

As for the badge, isn't it simply beautiful... thank you Olga Godim for creating it for the challenge.

I am sure you will enjoy all the entries in the HOP today. As for mine, well, it's been a while since I wrote anything, but this prompt spoke to me. 

As we all journey through life, there are many obstacles in our way and at some point we have to choose which "bridge" to cross. I hope you enjoy...



INVISIBLE BRIDGES


Many, if not all of our journeys in life, lead us to an invisible bridge. 


A mist of silver haze clings to a sketchy outline. Moving shadows play hide and seek on the other side.  

Do I cross? 

Or—go back to the safety of the road just traveled?

Droplets of sweat leak down my face as I watch the images before me. Every fiber of my being screams, TURN BACK.

My throat constricts. I close my eyes, but only for a brief moment. 

Breathe…just keep breathing.

Something fizzles.

I spin around. Swallowed by pitch, the road I had just traveled no longer exists.

Echoes of an eerie silence weave like delicate threads shrouding me.

A loud pop… 

Pinpoints of light flicker, then ignite. 

A network of lines brand the midnight canvas set before me. Within seconds another bridge appears. This one clear and glowing like hot embers. Somehow this one is more terrifying… 

It leads nowhere.

A choice must be made, but to what avail?

Is my mind playing tricks on me?  Is it real? 

How could it not be? 

This is my destiny. How often has this happened to me? Once, twice, a dozen? A hundred times? 

Chills freeze and burn within me. I tear myself away from the bright lights and inhale as much as my lungs will allow. I cough out an acrid and unpleasant scent. One that I have never experienced before—not a hint of floral, grass, woods, or sea, but some type of chemical. The bile bites hard at the back of my throat and I cough again.

I strain to focus on the blurry lines of the invisible bridge. The mist lingers like a haunting ghostly shadow at the base. Now the swirls of silver are mixed with reflecting prisms of colors seducing me to make a move…

A warm, yet icy breeze, ruffles my hair. With my first step, a gust pushes me toward the edge. I loose my footing and plunge into the depths of the mist, stumbling onto what seems to be a clapboard bridge. A transparent railing breaks my fall as a splint of wood pierces my hand. Droplets of blood trickle and disappear into the billowing mist.

Can this be my payment for crossing?

Is this real or a fantasy? 

A fog horn blares in the distance and echoes like a ghoul playing a musical saw. 

I stand tall and take a few more steps. The mist clears as if an unseen hand swept it away. A dim phosphorescent light peeks over the low lying hill miles from the water’s edge. My boot heels thump on the clapboards as I continue along the bridge. Step after step the view remains the same. Hours later, I travel no further.

“What gives!,” I cry out and drop to my knees.

Over the deadly silence a whisper reaches my ears. I can’t comprehend the words. Another whisper, but this one is a fraction louder. Then another. And another… 

I am breathing heavier now. With each new chant the words becomes clearer. It seems to go on forever. 

Then, I hear the final whisper.

“The journey you take is a difficult one, my Son. This is but one of many bridges you will encounter. Take heart. Your inner strength will get you through them…

“Remember to always…keep your faith.”

I spring to life, my breath escapes me. “It was just a dream…it was just a dream,” I tell myself over and over. 

I sink back down into the sweat soaked sheets.

Or was it?


Thank you for joining me today. I hope you get a chance to read some of the other entries. Just click on the WEP link. Have a wonderful day everyone!



68 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

You totally had me riveted. Did not anticipate the end. Loved your beautiful word choices too. Thanks for sharing this.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thank you, Natalie. So happy you enjoyed it. I added the last four paragraphs just before I posted. Leaving it with "Remember to always..." gave the piece a completely different meaning and it just felt like it needed a different ending.

Bish Denham said...

And... dreams can foreshadow the journey...

Yolanda Renée said...

Sometimes the familiar is just too tempting, and the unknown too frightening! But that first step pure terror! Well done, and I like the addition!
I am thrilled the prompt spoke to you and that you shared it with us! Welcome back!

Crystal Collier said...

Goodness, how many bridge have I taken and stepped off into nothingness? Here's to the journey and moving forward in the face of uncertainty!

mshatch said...

Great imagery. And oh, yes, so many invisible bridges. I recently crossed one.

Nilanjana Bose said...

It is wonderful to read your piece here, Michael, and I am personally thrilled to bits that this particular prompt spoke to you! How neat is that!

I have always found your writing evocative and atmospheric and this piece is no different. Sumptuous-terrifying! Double thumbs up.

Michael Di Gesu said...

They certainly do, Bish.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thanks Renee.... it's nice to contribute and be back for the WEP. These hops are truly life saving at times because we need to clear out our emotions through writing.

Michael Di Gesu said...

So true.... thanks for dropping by Crystal.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Marcy... YOU DID! And you are loving your new space... congrats again!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thank you so much, Nila! Your prompt DID speak to me. I am so happy you enjoyed my piece. It's been quite some time since I wrote something new. Nice to see I can still create that atmosphere.

Pat Hatt said...

Dreams sure can open up what may come or allow insight in what needs to be done. Great setting up the atmosphere too.

Pat Garcia said...

This poem is awesome and I can so relate to it. The destiny, the bridge, wanting to hold on to the old as you walk toward the new.
Beautifully done and it touched my heart.
Shalom aleichem,
Pat

Michael Di Gesu said...

They certainly do, Pat. Thanks. Glad you enjoyed the piece.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thank you, Pat. That means so much to me!

Carol Riggs said...

Ah, the journey and the bridge to...somewhere? nowhere? Evocative as usual, and I really liked the smell paragraph. Bridges are great parallels and metaphors for life! I'm so glad you got a moment to write and be creative. :)

M said...

Really nice imagery here. Well done.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Me, too. Thanks Carol!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thank you, M.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Michael - oh gosh some episodes that we don't really understand, that sit within our psyche, even our full on life in sleep, can keep coming back to haunt us - we need to move across that bridge ... loved the story here ... which way do we go ... the good way or the bad way, the easy way ... the one that gives us hope ... and so it goes - the choice can be difficult ... especially if the dream catches us unawares - they worry me sometimes! Great pulling together that crossroads of life and its bridges ... cheers Hilary

Deborah Drucker said...

The last part definitely had a dreamlike quality,trying to make progress across the bridge and then finding out you are stuck in the same place. I really liked that imagery. Then trying to hear what the dream wants to tell us.

Toi Thomas said...

This was exciting. The sense of the unknown and the suspense were great. The idea of moving forward to cross the bridge only to realize that you haven't made any progress. So many choices to make and then... deciding whether to follow that dream, if that's what it was. I like it.

Elephant's Child said...

Those invisible bridges are frightening, but often sustain us - and direct us to paths we would never have considered.
A really thought provoking piece. Thank you.

Laura Clipson said...

Oh wow, wasn't expecting that ending! I had no idea where that was going, but then it made so much sense at the end.

Olga Godim said...

What a beautiful metaphor. We all come to such bridges sometimes.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Beautifully written Michael! I really loved it!

cleemckenzie said...

I love the idea of those invisible bridges and the risk-taking that crossing them creates in us. We are extremely brave creatures, and you've captured that in your piece.

Denise Covey said...

Hi Michael! Of course this is not my first visit. I read it on my phone early today but didn't want to be tapping out a comment on my phone. So here I am again. You know your descriptive, atmospheric writing thrills me. You've pulled out all the stops and created a thoughtful piece of writing. Invisible bridges are everywhere, aren't they? If we counted the many times we have to cross these metaphoric bridges depending on our life decisions.

Throughout the reading, I could hear Robert Frost narrating 'The Road Less Traveled.' Awesome entry.

Welcome back!

Denise :-)

dolorah said...

That was intense and riveting Michael. Such beautiful and evocative prose. So true of life to; with all the paths that lead this way and that, spanning metaphorical bridges with our choices.

I had hoped Hamlet would be a bridge to a permanent home for you. I guess you have yet to cross that gap :)

Michael Di Gesu said...

They worry me too, Hilary. Thanks for dropping by and I'm glad you enjoyed the piece.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thanks Deborah! Glad you enjoyed it.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thanks, Toinette!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thank you... so glad you liked it.

Michael Di Gesu said...

I had originally stopped it at the final words, but just before I posted the last four paragraphs almost wrote themselves... funny how that happens.

Thanks Laura.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thank you, Olga... yes, we certainly do.

Michael Di Gesu said...

I'm so glad! Thank you, Tyrean.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thank you, Lee.... Sometimes we are, but most of the time we are terrified!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thank you so much, Denise. I am honored to have such an amazing comment and to be compared to such an INCREDIBLE POET! You made my WEEK...

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thank you, Donna! I really appreciate it. Me, too, but we are still looking for the perfect place for both of us... SOON, I hope.

DEZMOND said...

Nelly's It was Only Just a Dream plays in my mind

farawayeyes said...

Exciting and terrifying at the same time. Am in the process of crossing one of those invisible bridges myself. It's just life and you think after all of my (our) experiences we would get better at taking that first step into the unknown, but for me it's always a harrowing experience. Great imagery and writing here. Thank you for sharing,

Michael Di Gesu said...

I can certainly see why....

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thank you... so glad you enjoyed it.

Chrys Fey said...

You really pulled me in with that one. Great detail and expression.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thank you, Chrys.... happy you enjoyed it.

Nick Wilford said...

Totally exhilarating. The bridge felt like the other character in this piece... the antagonist perhaps... but without it, the protagonist would never have moved on in life. It's difficult to start out on a new journey, but usually worth it!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thanks, Nick.... I agree, the bridge is definitely another character.That it is. Starting on a new journey is always difficult. Nice to see you Nick.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Great job, Michael. You did a terrific job capturing the combined senses of terror and hope we all experience when faced with crossing the bridges life keeps putting in our pathway.

Carol Kilgore said...

Great story, Michael. I sometimes have dreams that are so real. It always makes me wonder....

Jemi Fraser said...

Nice! Those choices we make can change us - and our choices do define us. Nicely done :)

Sally said...

Evocative and scary, the mind lets us work out problems sometimes. Taking that first step over a bridge into a new start needs courage. Great writing.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thanks Susan... sadly these bridges are a part of everyone's life...

Michael Di Gesu said...

Me too, Carol. Thanks.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thanks Jemi. They certainly do.

Michael Di Gesu said...

It sure does, Sally. Thanks.

Pat Garcia said...

Michael,
I just want to say congratulations. Your poem inspired me so much, and it was what I needed to read to help me let go of some things instead of holding on. Thank you once again for putting into words the agony I was going through in my heart. You have done an awesome job.
All the best and keep writing.
Shalom aleichem,
Pat

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thank you, Pat....

This means more to me than the award. We all strive to have our readers connect with our writing and if I helped you in any way get through a difficult time, I am so very happy. I wrote this as part my healing as well.

Julie Flanders said...

Wow, so wonderful to see you writing again, Michael. And what a way to come back!! This story had me riveted and I felt like I was there with you, scared to see what was going to happen next. Such a beautiful and hopeful ending. Knowing the struggles you have had recently makes the story all the more touching.

J Lenni Dorner said...

Well done, well written, and congratulations on your win.

Morgan said...

So thoughtful provoking and hauntingly beautiful!!!!!!! I wish I had your gift of writing!!!! And illustration. And... EVERYTHING. So beautiful, I loved this SO much.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thank you, Julie! So glad to see I haven't lost my touch. LOL.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Than you so much, J. Welcome to my blog.

Michael Di Gesu said...

MORG!!!! How AMAZING it is to see you here! It thrills me. You have an amazing gift for writing...we just express ourselves differently. I am so looking forward to your next piece....

Unknown said...

So very well written! Thrilled to be back visiting your blog-- been offline for a while now.

Damyanti

Michael Di Gesu said...

What a lovely surprise to see you, Damyanti~ I've totally missed you! I am so glad you enjoyed the piece.

I understand. Life does seem to get in the way, doesn't it?

Michelle Wallace said...

Michael, you did an excellent job! I really enjoyed your piece. You know how much I love your writing...
Atmospheric...and such wonderful word choices.
Congrats on snagging The ENCOURAGEMENT AWARD.

Deniz Bevan said...

Ooh, such lovely imagery. Just because it might have been experience in a dream, doesn't mean it wasn't real... :-)