Wednesday, June 6, 2018

WRITING AND LIFE....A CONSTANT BATTLE.

Hi All,

Welcome to another session of the IWSG created by our good friend, Alex J. Cavanaugh. If you would like to find out more, DO pop over to his site and sign up. You will feel so much better when you do.

With the temps raising into the mid 90's, Orlando is becoming a steam bath. Just a few more weeks and I return back to Chicago and hopefully a bit of peace. Sadly, my time here in Orlando has been extremely stressful. As most of you know the condo development I live in has taken a turn for the worse. I tried to get on the board with a small group of other concerned owners, to change the situation, but the president and his minions fixed the election and not one of us got on the board. 

I vowed to sell my unit and was lucky to find an investor/buyer right away. But, just as he was sending me the papers, he met with my neighbor, who also decided to sell, and he blew me off. Made a deal with my neighbor and bought theirs... then had the gaul to ask if I would come down to that price and then he would buy mine. HA... I only have a fully upgraded corner unit with all the bells and whistles and he wants to pay me the same price for an inside unit with half the upgrades. FAT CHANCE!

So the reason I'm telling you this is because I am still trying to get the first draft done on my MOMMY KAY memoir. How can a creative writer WRITE, with life kicking him/her in the teeth every chance it gets?  

The answer? You tell me. WE all have been in unpleasant situations in our lives where our stress levels and anxieties vise grip us around the throat where we can barely breathe. I have just come off a two year strangling and now it's back.

Don't worry, I am managing, but my attention wanders back to life's drama when I let my guard down for just a second. Thankfully my subject is still very intriguing to me and I try to write daily, but not nearly as much as I'd like. I am up to 24K words, so about a third or a bit more done.

I was so angry today when I found out about this treachery. I was moving along very well this past week. I tried to write today, but only managed a page. Finding my focus again will take a lot. I hope I can. I need to finish this amazing project. 

Immersing myself into Kim's whirlwind life with Kay does help. I guess that's all I can do at this point. I wish I had the answers to this predicament we all face at one time or another. Any advice would be greatly appreciated by me and other writers with this same situation.

Thank you Alex and all the IWSG team members. WE all appreciate your hard work and support. 

Have a wonderful day everyone!







32 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That really sucks. You have the worst luck with places in Florida. Maybe that's a sign? I hope you can find a buyer willing to pay what you want and soon.
Make writing about Kay your safe haven. Retreat to it and know that nothing can touch you there.

Jennifer Hawes said...

Get back to the Midwest! Although, temps are soaring this next week. Ugh. I hate the heat. But I think I despise freezing temps more. Hopefully, you can leave the condo mess behind and focus on your writing and your life!!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Why don't you try the NC coast? You'd love Wilmington.

I am so sorry the buyer tried to undercut you. Hold out for someone willing to pay what it's worth.

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Oh, Michael. I'm so sorry. This suck on so many levels. What's up with that dude? #traitor Maybe it's the moon or some cosmic force, because so many of us writers (the ones who've been blogging together forever) seem to be going through all sorts of trials. I guess the support and understanding is just another reason we're in each others' lives. Take a long walk. Phone a friend. Watch a stupid, silly movie. And then try to write something again. I know you'll get this completed. It's just a matter of time.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thanks so much, Sheri. I really do appreciate our community. And yes, sadly, I am not alone with the trials of life. I guess it's what makes us stronger and more determined than ever to keep pushing on.

Michael Di Gesu said...

I intent to, L. Diane. It's just another trial. And waiting until that buyer shows up. I have limited time because the complex is really looking bad and my unit is on the higher end because of the upgrades. Investors are the ones buying and they just don't want to pay. Many bought these units for a song four years ago...and they expect to keep paying under market value.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thanks Jennifer. I wish I could. But I have to either sell it or rent it before I leave here. Ugh.

Michael Di Gesu said...

I'm trying... Thanks Alex.

Crystal Collier said...

Sounds like you need a night trip to the beach. Calm waves, quiet, and a refreshing sea breeze. Here's wishing you the peace you need to move forward.

emaginette said...

I'm sorry things are so rough right now. If it was me I'd need to escape and writing was always that for me. Hang in there. In five years, or maybe less, you'll look back with a different outlook. Remember everything that happens to us and make us feel--good or bad--is fodder for our craft.

Anna from elements of emaginette

Chrys Fey said...

How can a creative writer WRITE, with life kicking him/her in the teeth every chance it gets?

You can't. Or at least...I can't.

I'm sorry for your struggles. I hope things get better.

Michael Di Gesu said...

I wish it could do that for me, but the beach doesn't work that way on me anymore. Mountains may be better. Thank's Crystal.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Anna.... I hope it's a lot less than five years! I don't think I could survive five more years of this. True, but it would be nice to feel and enjoy some peaceful and happy thoughts for a change instead of "what to do next," stressful thoughts.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thank you, Chrys. I know you understand.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi Michael, I'm just like you, I can't write when I'm stressed out by life. I agree with you about "How can a creative writer WRITE, with life kicking him/her in the teeth every chance it gets?"
From the past 3 weeks I've not been writing at all :(

Julie Flanders said...

Oh gosh, I'm sorry this happened. What a nasty person that guy must be. I can imagine how angry you must have been. Hang in there!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Michael - life is sent to try us ... and I keep thinking ah all is better now - then something comes along to take the wind out of my sails. Good luck ... but so glad you've got your writing project - take care and all the best - Hilary

Michael Di Gesu said...

Sorry to hear it, Rachna.... Hang in there. I wrote a very direct letter to the board president here and he was than thrilled with my directness. Knowing I got to him, pleases me. Maybe he'll finally do something about this deteriorating place.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thanks Julie... It's all about money for these investors. They don't care who the step on as long as they get a better deal. It's disgusting.

Michael Di Gesu said...

So true, Hilary.

Yes, I am very grateful to have a terrific writing project.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I can so relate to how life gets in the way of writing. Sorry that your condo sale didn't go smoothly. I just sold my mom's in Coconut Creek and it went amazingly well. We hadn't even listed the condo and sold it. Hope it works out for you. Now I'm enjoying my mom being here but it's a challenge squeezing in any personal writing time. Good luck with your challenges.

H. R. Sinclair said...

Wow, that is incredulous. People are so underhanded. I'm sorry. Fingers Crossed you can knock that nastiness out of your head to write a bit.

Denise Covey said...

Sorry to hear about that buyer's treachery, Michael. Not everyone in the world in moral and upstanding like us, eh? I hope it works out for you and you arrive safely back in Chicago and get down to serious writing again.

dolorah said...

It is hard to write when your life is in turmoil. Hopefully it will all resolve soon.

Michelle Wallace said...

People can be so deceitful! It never ceases to amaze me.
Hopefully, the Mommy Kay memoir will keep you going. It's such a special project and I know you are going to write a wonderful book!
Hang in there!

Jemi Fraser said...

How frustrating!!!!
Life is chaotic here as well, and that makes it so difficult to maintain focus. I've been working in fits and starts too. Good luck!!

Deniz Bevan said...

Argh, how frustrating!
I like the idea of channelling emotions from real life into the story. I also try really hard to get my writing or editing done first thing in the morning (well, third, after shower and coffee :-) ), because otherwise it's much too easy to be distracted or upset.

JEN Garrett said...

So, if you can't escape from the rage, my advice is to write it. I mean write about the injustice of it all. Don't worry about your project. Instead spend your writing time venting about what you're dealing with right now. That's what I have to do sometimes - just get it all out on paper, and then usually I can turn back to my project.

Nicki Elson said...

Oh no - are you back in Chicago now? Cuz I'm afraid that won't help you escape the heat and humidity...

I hope you've been able to avoid life's distractions this past month enough to accomplish what you want on mamma Kay's story.

Arlee Bird said...

Hope all is well considering you haven't posted for a couple months. I hear you about the stress and all. I got on our association board when I ran after seeing meetings about to break into fisticuffs. I got on and stayed for like 10 years before I'd had enough and declined to run again. We get very little participation in our neighborhood, but fortunately our board is pretty laid back and cooperative.

I hope your writing project is going well.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

Michelle Wallace said...

Hi Michael!
Thinking about you. How is the memoir progressing? Hope you're writing up a storm, my friend!
Take care! *hugs*

Melissa said...

You have every right to be angry! I hope things are going better for you now. Long time, no see, my friend.