Saturday, April 9, 2011

HOBNOBBING WITH THE OCCULT .... ANOTHER MYSTERY!

Happy Saturday everyone. Well this our ninth day of the A-Z Challenge. YAY! A full week completed. Only three weeks left. How exciting. Thank you all for the kind comments for our dear friend Roland. You are the best! I know he really appreciates the love you all sent him. 


Today's entry is something a little different. I hope you enjoy it.  I also finished the post with one of my illustrations. Many of you don't know about my other talent. If you have time please visit the My Illustrations link at the top.


Dozens of carved pumpkins flickered; each one illuminating a different expression: some scary, and some with wicked smiles. Life-sized scarecrows guarded the haystacks and the straw covered floor. The spider-webbed ceiling attracted dozens of black bats accompanied by several waving ghosts.

A witch’s cackle pierced the air as high pitch squeals from goblins, murmurs from mummies, and grunts from zombies echoed throughout the dilapidated mansion. 

Fingers, arms, and legs dripped over the edges of heated caldrons as a copious pungent steam fogged the main parlor. 

“It’s almost time, sisters.” A hoarse voice spoke.

Three ragged witches huddled together, their pocked skin and graying wisps of hair showed faintly in the dim light. 

“We outdid ourselves, sisters.” The same gruff voice croaked. 

All three snickered as a bell clanged at the front door. All three humped over to entry, licking their lips. Slowly the door creaked open.

“Trick or treat!” A group of costumed children chorused. 

“Come in my pretties,” the witch said, saliva drooling down her chin.

The kids entered excitedly. 

“Now these three ladies know how to DO Halloween,” piped one of the fathers as he followed his child through the door.




HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND EVERYONE!

30 comments:

mooderino said...

That pumpkin is fantastic, especially the vine. Have a good weekend!

Elliot Grace said...

...you'll need to hang onto this for Halloween, Michael.

Well written,

EL

The Words Crafter said...

Your art is amazing and I'm glad you're sharing it with us.

This little story is delightfully wicked, btw. The admiration of the father won't last long, will it? At least until he becomes a part of it.

Very well done!

Stephanie said...

Great story! Love the drawing!!

Wendy Tyler Ryan said...

Both the art and the story are wonderful.

Lisa Potts said...

I have a soft spot in my heart for anything remotely related to Halloween so I love the story and the pumpkin is fantastic!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Michael.

*hugs*
Lisa

Brenda Drake said...

H is for hauntingly fun. This piece, Michael, is so fun to read. You left us hanging at the end, wondering what was going to happen next. I can envision the old hags hunched over their cauldrons. Wonderful job! :D

Roland D. Yeomans said...

As Brenda said, wonderful job. And as Elliot said, hang onto this for next Halloween.

I have always admired your drawing ability. Great job with the pumpkin. Roland

PencilGirl said...

This was soo cool!!! Awesome post!
I didn't even think of Halloween!! It was quite the twist for me.. :D :D

Nicki Elson said...

Ahhh! Run kiddies, RUN! Excellent H. I feel all Octoberish all of a sudden.

Unknown said...

Halloween how clever. Thank you for another sensory treat. Quite the artist as well. Have a Happy Halloween, I mean...Week-end. Greetings from the nice witch of the north :)

Talei said...

Excellent story and what a fantastic drawing! You ARE super talented Michael! ;-)

B's Mom said...

You are really talented! Handsome, artistic, smart... total package! :)

Heather said...

This was wonderful! It doesn't hurt that Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. I love the ending, those kids~and especially the parents~are in for a shock!

Golden Eagle said...

I wouldn't want to be there when they find out what's really going on!

Great illustration!

Summer Ross said...

Your illustration is really wonderful Michael! I enjoyed the story a great deal too!

Jo Schaffer said...

Yikes! Run, children, RUN!!
The door bursts open and in flips Buffy to save the day! (=

I love Halloween and all things spooky. (=

Laura said...

great piece Michael, as ever! Love your illustration... do you do this professionally?- it is fab!
Lx

Hart Johnson said...

Am I a sicko for imagining this father is only fooling himself? teehee. Have you been to Niagara Falls? There is a haunted coffin factory there that is the FREAKING SCARIEST experience of my LIFE... I highly recommend it...

Denise Covey said...

As Elliot said, Michael, you'll need to re port for Halloween. Wow, you are one clever illustrator. Did you see Open Heart Publishing (where we sent our short stories was calling for illustrators - but you may have more work than you need anyway.)

Thanks for visiting I for Ibiza and for your recommendation to go. I had to choose between Ibiza and San Sebastien and went with the north.

My post went early I was for Monday but now I'll kick back and relax for a few days.

Denise<3

L'Aussie Travel A -Z Challenge H is for Haiti, I is for Ibiza.

Raquel Byrnes said...

Well hello there! Loved your flash fiction there. So spooky!
Edge of Your Seat Romance

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

That was awesome, Michael! Your illustration is wonderful too! I'm looking forward to checking out your other illustrations. :)

KM Nalle said...

How positively wicked. Your drawing is delightful. Thanks for sharing both of them.

PK HREZO said...

Oh I love it! Makes me long for fall. I could skip right from Spring to Fall. Summers are just too hot for me. :)

Awesome drawing!

Robyn Campbell said...

Wow! You are one talented guy, Michael. That illustration is enchanting. I admire you. The flash fiction is frightfully awesome. :-)

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Excellent drawing, Michael. Nice use of shading. (Did you know I teach art to 350 elementary school children?)

Fun story that you could use somehow for Halloween.

Monti

NotesAlongTheWay

N. R. Williams said...

Halloween in April...maybe we should change it for real, it would be warmer. Another well written piece.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

Talli Roland said...

You drew that pumpkin? Do your talents never end? :) It's fantastic, and so is your writing.

Hope you had a great weekend.

Susan Oloier said...

Michael, you are so talented!!!! I am in awe of your descriptions, verbs, word pictures. And now you're an amazing illustrator, too. Simply wonderful. I so enjoy visiting your blog.

Heather Henry said...

This is fantastic, I love it! I've always loved Halloween and your descriptions are so vivid, I can see it all perfectly.
Love your illustration too, very wonderful.
:)
Have a splendid day!