Wednesday, April 13, 2011

AN INVENTIVE MIND .... AERODYNAMICS WITH A "K"

Hello all. Today we are at the letter "K" in the A-Z challenge. I must admit this is quite the challenge.  Creating flash fiction with a riddle twist seems to get harder each passing day. But for today's post I felt a twang of nostalgia coming on me and I wished to portray a simpler time. I hope you enjoy today's post.

On the first day of summer, I slid down the bannister almost crashing into Mother’s hall table. She came into the foyer with her brow furrowed. She preached about my behavior and the lack of shine on my shoes. 
“Mother, I am only across to the park to play. Do I need shiny shoes for that?” 
She smiled as I pulled open the glass-paned door and raced down the front stoop. With the sounds of construction all around me, I wondered how may more homes would be built on Steiner. 
Father was one of the first to buy ours. He’s a lawyer you know. The builder, Mr. Kavanagh, lives on the corner at Grove st. He sure is busy. Are they putting fish scales on that house? Odd, but pretty though. So much activity all around Alamo square. The 1890’s are truly grand.
I should see if Kevin Kavanagh wants to play ball with me. 

I raced down Steiner to the biggest house on the block; it’s nearly twice as wide as ours. I rushed up the stairs and knocked on he heavy wooden door.
Mrs. Kavanagh greeted me and invited me into the foyer. 
“I was hoping Kevin might play some ball with me.”
“His father gave him something wonderful that Kevin is building. Perhaps he may need your help? Why not go up to his room, dear.”
I thanked her and rushed up the stairs, knocking on Kevin’s door the moment I got there.
“Come on in.”
Kevin grinned as I entered. “Look what my father gave me.”
He showed me this large thing made of bright color paper attached to wood strips. “What is that?” I asked. 
“It is called a box kite. Father’s friend, Lawrence Hargrove from Sydney Australia, invented it for aviation experiments. Father asked if he would send one to me. It arrived yesterday.” 
“That’s a real kite? It can fly?”
“Yes. Shall we go to the park and I will show you.”






26 comments:

Unknown said...

Now would be a good time to go fly a kite, and I meant that in a good way. Sometimes I just wish that I could be that kid again and just go fly a kite. Your stories always excite wonderful memories.

Jeana said...

I love reading your posts--for some reason, I feel they need to be read aloud.

Arlee Bird said...

Ah yes! Simpler times sound nice. Kids today miss so much fun. Nice use of multiple Ks.


Lee
Tossing It Out

Stephanie said...

Love it!

Linda Gray said...

Kites are kool! Okay, I Know that's not allowed. Love the nostalgia of childhood. I often find that's where I need to go in my writing if I'm struggling with emotion.

Talli Roland said...

Michael, you're doing such a great job with all this flash fiction! I do love kites - I remember flying one when I was young and feeling such freedom. If I tried to do that in central London, I'd probably get electrocuted!

Anonymous said...

Kite flying is a lot of fun! You really captured that with this piece.

Robyn Campbell said...

Love the Ks. You totally rock! The anticipation over flying a kite is so exciting. You showed that, Michael. I can tell you had fun writing this one.

Great job. I thoroughly enjoyed it. You are truly challenging yourself. :-)

LTM said...

Hey, I love this story! And everyone's doing kites today, but I really liked the image and the box kite. The kids going to play... fun stuff~ :o)

Denise Covey said...

As Jeana says, your posts need to be read aloud, as does a good poem. I've said before you're writing poetically Michael which is flowing from your brain to fingertips as smoothly as silk. Looks like I missed a post below. Will read now.

Denise<3

Nicki Elson said...

Kites! Yes, quite nostalgic. I never could keep the things up in the air long, myself. But it was sure fun to try. :)

Nas said...

Loved your post! Kites used to be so colorful(handmade)when I was a child! Nostalgic!

N. R. Williams said...

I love kites, great job.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Michael, I hope you'll put these wonderful shorts into some kind of book.

Love your stories!
Monti
NotesAlongTheWay

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I feel like I'm right there with you!

joanne lee said...

A nice touch of childhood on a spring day!

Lisa Potts said...

My brother and I are fifteen years apart in age and flying a kite was one thing I remember us doing together when I was little and he was home from college. Thanks for reminding me!

Unknown said...

Very cool, Michael! This is such a challenging blogfest as it is, and you've taken it up a notch. Kudos!

EJ

Roland D. Yeomans said...

I never flew a box kite, but I always wanted to. You've done a great job. And as E.J. says, you even put up the bar higher for yourself -- and excel each time, Roland

Anonymous said...

Ah it's K for Kevin Kavanagh's kite! :O)

Ellie Garratt said...

Another wonderful piece of flash fiction. You've made want to buy a kite now!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

That was super, Michael! It made me think back to my daughter and husband flying a kite on the beach in Destin. Good usage of the letter "k."

Anonymous said...

I love the tone of this piece. It makes me want to be a kid again. Kites bring back happy memories for me.

Talei said...

Michael! I really loved the voice here. There's something quite compelling about it. ;-)

Brenda Drake said...

K is for ... hmmm, K word are tough. Killer. That's it. The girls went to fly kites with their dad last week and loved it. We have krazy winds here so it's great for kite weather. Also, my grandfather's surname was Kavanagh (it was changed to Cavanaugh when he immigrated here in 1894). Loved this story and sorry I'm so late in posting. ;)

Sylvia said...

Love it!

Thanks for your visit to my blog, much appreciated :)