Monday, April 18, 2011

O IS NOT FOR OPRAH!

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. Sunshine and summer breezes continued throughout the weekend in Florida. Thank you all for stopping by and commenting. Welcome new friends from the A-Z challenge. I appreciate you dropping by. I hope you enjoy today's post. More of a riddle today, but still full of my original touches.


With chestnut tresses flowing, and eyes as blue as the Caribbean Sea, she is a woman of no ordinary means, Sensual yet pure. Sexual yet innocent. She is the love interest of the future King of Denmark.
Her love is frail and genuine. Alas, he is crass and is uncaring, wrestling with internal demons.
He bares all to her, leaving her with misconceptions of his love. But he does love her, although there is much contempt in his heart.
Her father’s manipulation ends in his death by the prince’s own hand. She in turn looses her mind with grief and speaks in riddles and rhymes, singing of death and loss of virginity. Her obsession over wild flowers carries her to a nearby brook.
A tragic accident and she dies at the hand of a snapping willow branch, drowning in a river of tears.
Who could this anguished maiden be? A look into England’s most famous literary treasure has the answer you seek.
One in a collection of honored plays ... W.S. was his name in Elizabethan days. With the playwright revealed, the narrowing is simple. Do you know .... Why it’s Hamlet’s Ophelia, low and behold.


29 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I knew!
And once we got through the storms on Saturday, Sunday was great.

Talli Roland said...

Glad to hear you had a lovely weekend. Love the riddle, Michael. Happy Monday!

S.A. Larsenッ said...

This was really beautiful. I enjoyed the way you set up the piece. Enjoy your week. My kids are on spring break so not sure how much I'll be around. :)

Robyn Campbell said...

Awesome riddle, my friend. I love coming here first in the morning. It gives my day a wonderful start. :-)

jkraus8464 said...

Nice job! I enjoyed. And I'm so glad the O was not for Oprah!

Anonymous said...

Clever riddle! (Although the title of your post totally cracked me up.)

Brenda Drake said...

O is for Outstanding job, Michael. Loved this riddle. Sad and tragic. :D

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I've seen the church in which he's buried. They buried some people right in the floor of the church back then!

Unknown said...

I never guessed! I didn't know much about her history.

Anonymous said...

I'll take Ophelia over Oprah any day!

Grandpa said...

Nice quiz Michael. I was ready to start my research only to realise that you provided the answer at the end.
I'll go along with Milo there if I have to choose!

Grandpa
Life on The Farm

Jeana said...

I love it! I love WS and all his tragic characters!

M.J. Fifield said...

Ophelia is much better than Oprah. A fantastic post!

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Always a lovely post and intriguing riddle with you, Michael. I always felt great empathy for Ophelia and great frustration with Hamlet. Have a great new week, Roland

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I love Hamlet. What a great play.

Danette said...

I too am glad O is not for Oprah! Ophelia is much preferred!! Love the picture too!

Marjorie said...

I love, love, love Hamlet! Though there is some debate as to whether Ophelia committed suicide and the queen lied so that she could have a Christian funeral.

Unknown said...

Aha...very impresssive, thing is though, I kept thinking about the future king of Denmark (today) he is really an odd character :)

Inger said...

Being Swedish and out of touch, now I wonder who the future king of Denmark may be. Oh, well, I enjoyed this riddle and your blog looks very interesting.--Inger

Golden Eagle said...

I had to laugh at your title. :D

Ophelia is an interesting character. I love the riddle!

Karen Martin Sampson said...

I knew immediately who you were talking about Michael probably because the tragedy of Ophelia is a favorite subject of artists and I have always loved and been moved by the image of her floating in the water surrounded by flowers. I've often considered doing my own version...
It's still cold up here on north Vancouver Island but the sun has come out a bit more each day!

Luanne G. Smith said...

I knew it. Love me some Hamlet. Good O choice. :)

New follower by the way, via the A to Z.

Donea Lee said...

W.S. is the man! :) Lovely pic of such a tragic character. Love how you brought us to her!

erica and christy said...

You know me - I never know these old characters, so I can't comment on them!!

But I did want to warn you we're getting 6-8 inches of snow tomorrow night. Don't come home early, it could go south. :(
erica

dolorah said...

Ophelia of course :)

Beautiful write-up.

The weather here in sunny CA is opperssive with storm clouds. Little breeze; bright sun one minute and drenching rains the next. Did I mention Norther CA.

Hey; enjoy your sunshine while you have it . .

.......dhole

Unknown said...

Of course! Who else could be the love interest of the future King of Denmark :-)
We did Hamlet for English when I was in Matric. I can still recite some of the lines... (Though I did NOT enjoy having to write exams on it!)

Nicki Elson said...

You make me want to go back and revisit these classics I've forgotten far too much about.

LTM said...

what a gorgeous tribute to Ophelia! Hubs's favorite Shakespeare is Hamlet. I MUCH prefer Romeo + Juliet. Surprised? :D <3

mely said...

NICE NEWS FRIEND,
visit to my BLOG too pls...
http://getmoneyfromonbuxwithoutreferral.blogspot.com
http://getmoneyfromonbuxwithoutreferral.blogspot.com