Wednesday, November 6, 2019

SLOW DOWN...LIVE THE LIFE YOU ARE MEANT TO LEAD.... AN IWSG POST

Hi All!

This year is flying by and Thanksgiving is just around the corner. What a crazy rollercoaster ride of a year. At least it has been for me.  Starting a new life is always difficult, but when you do so in later years, it means so much more. When you are young, you "go with the flow" and let life happen to you. But as you mature into middle age, you think of only planning each and every step very carefully. As we all know, LIFE has a tendency to leave hurdles in our way. You find that you are traveling on much bumpier roads than imagined. But, through it all, one has to persevere. Which leads me to my point...


Like with LIFE, one has to persevere with their writing. I am proof of that! I have been writing for the past decade, and I have yet to be traditionally published. Yes, I have had blurbs, book covers, and essays published, but not any of my novels. That will hopefully change in the forthcoming year. Now that I am on my way to my next level of life, it is time to finish up the manuscript I have been working on for two years. MOMMY KAY will be finished. It is time. We all work at our own pace and putting UNNECESSARY pressure on ourselves to "pump" out a new book every year is just too much. Writing is supposed to be a joyous thing. It is not meant to create stress for ourselves. So if you are in the middle of a manuscript and are frustrated that you have not finished it yet, DON'T. ENJOY the journey... Life is too short and we need to live it. I have lost of few friends this year. They "moved on" way before they should have. Enjoy each day. Slow down and take in your surroundings. Our writing will always be there waiting for us. With each new life experience, your writing will take on a new facet...remember the brilliance of a diamond comes from the many facets that are cut into it.  Just like with amazing and brilliant writing, our life experiences will flow into the facets of each story we write.

My journey has been a very slow one, but I am okay with that. When the time comes for my story to be published it will and when it does, my readers will live my story through my words. That is what wonderful writing is all about!

So take heart, live life, and enjoy the wonders that will unfold before you.

Another holiday season is upon us. Slow down, enjoy the time with your family and friends. When the new year evolves, then start it off fresh with a new spark of life.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE! May you all be truly blessed and thankful.

I know I am thankful for the IWSG and for the many people who give their time and talent to continue its success. When Alex first started this group, I was one of the first to join. If you have not already, drop by his blog and sign up...Thank you all in the IWSG, WE love you!

40 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm thankful you are still with us!
Yes, writing should be a joy, not a chore.
I agree. I went through enough disruption as a kid in a military family. I want stability now.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

You have to enjoy the journey or what's the point?

So happy to hear you are finishing that book.

Denise Covey said...

Hey, Michael, the journey is just as important as the destination I say. I love being a slow writer. Sure, I'd like to pump out novels like some hotshots do and make thousands, but when I do publish, I'll be publishing A LOT! Meanwhile, in Paris, I'm managing to write for 2 hours a day. I'm impressed with me!!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Fellow midlifer, refusing to allow it to become a crisis, here to say I'm always happy to see your name pop up on my sidebar with a new post. You always know how to make me smile and remind me to stop worrying so much. It's funny you should mention the difference between now and when we were younger and hos we approached life. When we were young, anything and everything was a possibility. As we get older, we begin to hamstring our thinking with logic and reality. Young me never gave two figs about the odds- I was just going to do it. We have to remind ourselves to keep dreaming. There is no age limit on dreams.

Love the diamond analogy. Very fitting!

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi Michael, I agree that like with Life, one has to persevere with their writing and we have to enjoy our writing.

Sadira Stone said...

Amen! As a slower writer, I know I'll never be one of those authors who pump out several books a year--and that's okay. I try to remember that writing is my joy, and I don't want to lose the fun of it by turning it into a race. Life is not a competition. I wish you happy writing in November.

Chrys Fey said...

I am amazed that Thanksgiving is coming up in a matter of weeks.

Great reminder to slow down and enjoy the moment/season. :)

DEZMOND said...

Oooh, will you decorate the new palace for Thanksgiving? Are we invited for dindins? :)

Natalie Aguirre said...

Yes, it's hard to start over later in life. And it's important to enjoy the journey. Happy Thanksgiving!

emaginette said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well. I try to be thankful for the smaller things. They mean the most to me. :-)

Anna from elements of emaginette

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Michael - good to see you and to know you're still writing and that Momma Kay will get published. You've had lots on and done lots ... I just go with life ... but I think I must settle down now! Life is good here and opens doors for other things ... so like you I'll keep on: good luck - cheers Hilary

Liza said...

Thanks for the dose of the "power of positive thinking!"

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thank you, Alex. Me, too! I can relate.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thanks L. Diane. Me, too!

Michael Di Gesu said...

That is AMAZING.... if one can't get inspired in Paris, than one should not write! Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thank you, Liz! I appreciate that. Always happy to help! You are so right, there is NO AGE LIMIT ON DREAMS! Me, too. I was pretty happy with the analogy.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thanks, Rachna.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thank you so much, Sadira, same to you!

Michael Di Gesu said...

So true, Chrys.

Michael Di Gesu said...

That it does, Pat.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Sadly, I won't be there for Thanksgiving. However, I will be there for Christmas! AND YES, Dezzy, you're welcome anytime.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thank you, Natalie...same to you!

Michael Di Gesu said...

I agree, Anna.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thank you so much, Hilary. You'll never settle down, you have so much adventure in you! And that's a wonderful thing!

Michael Di Gesu said...

You're welcome, Liza!

Jemi Fraser said...

I am completely with you, Michael. Life is to be lived first. My real life people come before my imaginary friends - every time.
I've been slow at this process and I'm more than okay with that as well. Things happen when they happen and when life moves sideways it's okay to go on that detour.

Rebecca M. Douglass said...

Some great advice about slowing down, especially at this time of year. The holidays can make us all crazy, but for me it helps to buckle up and write some every day.

Diane Burton said...

Good advice, Michael. Putting extra pressure on yourself takes the fun out of writing. Enjoy every step along the path toward publication.

dolorah said...

I feel less resilient to cope with life hurdles now. That is likely what happened to my writing this year. I finally gave up trying to force stories out of my head and onto the computer. Next year will hopefully give me new incentive - new year, new goals, starting fresh. 2019 seemed to be one life challenge after another, and I'm hoping as this year closes, things settle down to some sort of normalcy.

Be well Michael. Best of luck on the Mommy Kay project.

Jo said...

Well you are all a bunch of kids to me. Yes, slow down and smell the roses. Things can get difficult enough without you making difficulties for yourself. Wishing you luck with your book Michael.

Michael Di Gesu said...

We certainly need to 'march to our own drummer,' Jemi....That's for sure.

Michael Di Gesu said...

That's great, Rebecca! We all react to the holidays differently and if it helps with your writing...all the better!

Michael Di Gesu said...

I will certainly try, Diane... thanks!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thank you, Donna... I hope the forth coming year brings you the peace you need. Life is full of pitfalls and some years are much harder than others. I have been wising for a quiet year for the past decade... so far it hasn't happened, but as long as I have my health, I can get through anything. At least I am ending this year with a wonderful new home that I HOPE will be my last. For the first time in my life this place really feels like HOME. Fingers crossed.

Michael Di Gesu said...

LOL... I suspect so, but we are catching up... So true. Why add to our difficulties, we should focus on how to make our lives easier, not more complicated. Thank you, Jo!

Mark Koopmans said...

Michael, me oul' mate, how are you!

Listen, (and imagine me chucking an arm over your shoulder... and homefully it's mine:) you may *think* your journey has "been a very slow one," but come on now, my friend!!

From the very first time you shared some of your interior design remodels, I've been so impressed with your amazing and natural ability!! (IF I ever have any money, you are my first call, too!)

And, all the time you took to help me recreate REVIVAL -- that will also never be forgotten and you still have a credit for anytime you need a Beta.

Here's to growing older gracefully and finishing that WIP at exactly the right time.

Take care, Brother, and a very happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hey Mark!

So good to see buddy! I'm hanging in there. Busy as usual. You CERTAINLY know how that is... I appreciate your "pep" talk and you know I'll do my best to grow older gracefully. It was pleasure to help on REVIVAL. I'm finding out first hand how trying writing a memoir can be. I've been at it for almost two years now, but I have taken off about six months for LIFE. Time to dive back in. I only have four to five more chapters. I'll definitely send you the MS. I think you can use a good laugh. This lady was truly ONE of a KIND!

Whenever you need a designer, I'm your man. I'll even come to SPAIN or WHEREVER you're new home is at...Take care, my friend!

Ornery Owl of Naughty Netherworld Press and Readers Roost said...

Very good advice. Thank you.

H. R. Sinclair said...

Cheers to enjoying the process AND life.

Elizabeth Mueller said...

That's wonderful that you are able to get bits and pieces of yourself out there like that. You're creating a wave for your big day when you set foot with your first book and I'm excited for that day!

Merry Christmas, Michael!

♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥