Wednesday, August 4, 2021

SUMMER IS IN FULL SWING ... MAKING TIME FOR WRITING, AN IWSG POST...

 

Hi All, 


Welcome to another IWSG Post! It is amazing how quickly this year has passed. Summer is in full swing and we only have another month or so before my favorite season comes to play.

Thanks to Alex and the IWSG team, we get to air our insecurities and offer help to others who are having a rough time. If you would like to join, please pop over to Alex's blog here.

Many people are spending a great deal of time outdoors these days and most likely are putting off their writing. This summer, I have actually spaced my time. It works. I do whatever needs to be done with the rehab of my house until about noon. After a quick cleanup, I head straight for my computer. These days it is all about finding a new home for my present novel, MOMMY KAY.  I research agents and send out about five queries. This can take me a few hours, but I feel as though I have accomplished a great deal. Afterward, I catch up on some reading. Writers forget HOW IMPORTANT it is to read. This is a luxury for many of us and we manage to put it off. A writer has to read to get our creative juices flowing. I have been in a writer's funk for far too long as I am sure many of you have, too. With so much pressure in our pandemic lives, we lose track of ourselves and our creativity. 

There is also a new anthology brewing at the IWSG and I will be starting a new piece for it this week. We have until Sept 1, 2021, to enter our submissions. 


Genre – sweet romance, theme – first love. See the site for details. Not my specialty, but I am ready to give it a whirl...

Here is the definition of romance from the RWA...

Definition: 

Two basic elements comprise every romance novel: a central love story and an emotionally satisfying and optimistic ending. A Central Love Story: The main plot centers around individuals falling in love and struggling to make the relationship work. A writer can include as many subplots as he/she wants as long as the love story is the main focus of the novel. An Emotionally Satisfying and Optimistic Ending: In a romance, the lovers who risk and struggle for each other and their relationship are rewarded with emotional justice and unconditional love. 

So, why not give it a try.

Enjoy the rest of your summer and PLEASE stay SAFE.



13 comments:

Chrys Fey said...

I was in a reading rut for a long time. I still am in a way, but I have been reading a lot of graphic novels and enjoying them.

Stay safe, Michael!

Liza said...

Best wishes on your querying!

Sadira Stone said...

I can't imagine being an author and not making time to read. In fact, I read myself to sleep every night, and read again if I wake during the night--good antidote for pointless spinning of the mental wheels. I'm a romance author, but I won't be participating in this anthology because I'm constitutionally incapable of writing a chaste romance. Ah well. Happy writing in August!

cleemckenzie said...

Hope you can find a home for your book. It takes so much energy and time to get a book out that I admire anyone who does it! Let us know how it goes and here's to success.

A Hundred Quills said...

Im going to try for sweet romance though not quite sure. I do agree, no reading, no writing!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Good luck with the querying. That's great that you are in a great routine of working on your house, writing, and reading.

Michelle Wallace said...

I hope that you find a home for Mommy Kay! Stay safe, Michael.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you have balance and are getting in some writing time. Good luck with the queries.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Hope it goes well with the submissions.

H. R. Sinclair said...

Good luck with submissions! Yeah, reading it good for writing AND relaxing. :)

Elizabeth Mueller said...

Woohoo! Best wishes on your submissions.

Yes, reading is just as important--it helps to unwind and still streamline our thoughts with the trade! :)

♥.•*¨Elizabeth Mueller¨*•.♥

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Michael - I hope Momma Kay can find a publishing home soon for you ... but well done on balancing your life. Reading is so important ... apart from the fact one learns so much ... which then benefits our writing: good luck and continue on enjoying yourself - Hilary

DMS said...

Wishing you all the best in finding a home for MOMMA KAY! It sure does take time and effort. Glad you have time carved out to do the work. :) Fingers crossed for you!
~Jess