Friday, December 17, 2021

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL MY WONDERFUL BLOGGER FRIENDS!....


 Hello All!

Can you believe it? Christmas Eve is only ONE week away! I decided to go ALL out this year. This is the first time in decades I have all my Christmas decorations in ONE place. I perused all my dozens of plastic bins in all sizes along with countless boxes, and I have to admit, I was OVERWHELMED. Lol

But, after calming down and opening them up one at a time, I managed to separate them into decorations for each level (I have three levels in my home). I decided right from the beginning that I would put up three trees: one nine-foot in the entry (shown in the first pic), Another fuller, nine-foot tree for the living room, and a third, seven-foot pencil tree for the lower level. I started to take down my Thanksgiving decorations and pack them away the day after Thanksgiving. I have quite a lot of Fall decorations so it took me the whole day. Saturday, I began to open bins and bring down decorations for the table surfaces and fireplace. I thought it would be easier to do it this way than bring down the bins two flights from the attic and then lug the empty bins back up-they are still heavy even empty. Sadly, at some point, I had to bring down at least twenty of them: the ones that held the tree ornaments. 

By mid-week, I set up the trees. I usually don't put up my tree until December 15th, but since I had three of them to do, I had to start earlier. The Lower Level tree was a snap; it only took about four hours to do. I have a lovely brick 

wall the tree nestled into rather nicely. I decorated the remaining LL, which consists of the rest of this room, a dining area, a staircase, bathroom, and bedroom. Yes, I put a bit of Christmas in every room. But I will spare you the complete tour...it's a fourteen room house, plus a very large front porch (also decorated to the nines!). This will be my personal space for when I open up as a Bed and Breakfast in late spring.


As we return to the main level, the second large tree hold court in the living room. It has over 500 ornaments. Yes, you are reading correctly, lol. My whole life is represented on this tree. From my first ornaments given to me as a toddler, to my vast traveling, and finally purchasing a few new ones every year. In my teens, I made many ornaments with beads, pearls, and sequins on satin Christmas balls...remember those? They were so IN back in the early to mid-'70s. I pricked myself thousands of times on those damn straight pins. But, they lasted for forty-five years. EEK! Am I really that old? DON'T ANSWER THAT. Lol

This was a tricky shot to take. I wanted to get both tree into the picture. I managed, thankfully! The only thing missing is the roaring fire. Since this is a wood stove, the flames are not wonderful, but the warmth and the flickers of light does enchant one when having a brandy on a cold night...like this one.

The next pic is a different angle of the living room. You can see the dining room to the left of the fireplace in the first LR pic. 

The one feature I love about this room are the front diamond-pained windows. A hundred plus years ago, craftsman took the time to cut each pane individually. That is a LOT of work especially since they are encased in wood lattice, not lead: much harder to do. The previous owners painted them white. ACK! After Christmas, I plan to restore them back to the original walnut stain which encases them.

This next pic is a closeup of the tree. As you can see ornaments galore! I also have dozens of glass icicles. They really make this tree sparkle! There is just one more room that I would to  share with you, the dining room. What is so nice about early twentieth century homes, they all had large dining rooms to sit and enjoy meals with the family and friends. Sadly, because of Covid, there hasn't been much use of it, but I do like to have a meal in there when I want a change of view from the kitchen island, where I normally dine. This room is the exact same size as the living room with paneled pocket door separating the two. I gather, that in the ninteen teens, the most like had a made or kitchen staff, as the family would "go through" into the living room, the maid would shut the doors and clean off the table. My, have things changed. I would kill to have someone clean for me and do the dishes. One thing I honestly do not like to do. I'm sure many of you agree! So, without further ado, here is the formal dining room. Up until a month ago, I had bare windows with only shades. It was time to hang up the silk drapes I made in 2004 for my Parisian-styled vintage condo in Chicago. It was an extemely elegant room. I even hung the same crystal chandelier in this massive room (15x25 feet). The room is much larger than it looks here. There is a large buffet on the right-hand side of the room.

I have the nativity on the buffet. You will see it in the next pic. I love this nativity because it is made of papier mache'. The details are incredible. I also used rafia for the straw and have wool lambs. It is a large set. The standing kings and Joseph are about fourteen inches. I kept this room more simple with just Santa and two reindeer on the table with candlesticks and lladro geese. A few poinsiettas on the top of the clock add some much need festive color.

The chandlier was my mother's. I have been cleaning it since she bought it in 1970. A long and funny story. Let's just say, Mom had to have it and it cost a weeks salary, in those days, that was INSANE. It has so many wonderful memories of my mom and family spending countless holidays and family dinners under that chandelier. I can't wait until we all could enjoy our lives again. I love to entertain and it truly saddens me that I can not entertain for this holiday season. I bought this house at the end of 2019... just as Covid began to show its ugly head.

Well, my dear friends, I hope you enjoyed my Christmas house. The final picture is the front of the house all lit up for a festive holiday season.

I would like to wish you all a HAPPY, HEALTHY, and PROSPEROUS holiday season and New Year! Keep safe my friends. You are always in my thoughts and prayers! 

Sending you all a great BIG virtual hug!!!! 

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

19 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Wow! Looks like something out of a storybook. You are a pro with your decorations.
Merry Christmas, Michael!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Merry Christmas, Michael! Thank you for sharing those images with everyone.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Michael - you've certainly been busy, but so pleased for you that you've had a chance to enjoy your decorations again - particularly seeing your mother's chandelier in use ... where you can enjoy it. Your home looks wonderful - just enjoy the festive season ... cheers Hilary

H. R. Sinclair said...

Merry Christmas indeed! You did an amazing job -- it's bed and breakfast perfect! Thank you for sharing.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Wow! That's awesome you have 500 ornaments that mean a lot to you. Happy Holidays!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thank you, Alex! The same to you!



Michael Di Gesu said...

Merry Christmas, Diane! Thanks for stopping by!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thank you, Hilary. You have a wonderful holiday season, too!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thank, Holly! I hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thank you, Natalie! Tis the season!

Nilanjana Bose said...

Merry Christmas and a very happy new year 2022! You have a beautiful home and your decorations are magnificent. Love that you have ornaments from your teenage, how lovely!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thank you so much, Nila! All the best in the new year to you, too!

Jemi Fraser said...

GORGEOUS!!!
Hope you have a wonderful holiday and I wish you all the best for 2022!!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thank you! You do the same, Jemi!

Heather said...

Wow! It looks absolutely beautiful! I hope you have a wonderful holiday, my friend!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thank you so much, Heather!

Denise Covey said...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you, Michael. Oh boy, you really do decorate for Christmas! So beautiful. I wish you many happy hours enjoying each of your rooms. So much love.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thank you, Denise! I enjoyed it, even though it took me quite a bit of time. I have a few more weeks, then I have to take it all down. Not fun. But, I am in no hurry and I want to pack up everything according to room, so this way it will take me much less time next year. Wishing you a wonderful, healthy, and prosperous new year!

Deniz Bevan said...

I missed commenting here but had to come look at the finished decorations! So beautiful!