Tuesday, May 2, 2023

GOING WITH THE FLOW...AN IWSG POST.


 Happy May Everyone!

Welcome to another IWSG post. Sorry that I am a day early. LOL I thought it was Wednesday,

Thanks to the creator, Alex, and all of his remarkable and giving staff, we are here the first Wednesday of each month to help each other through our insecurities and, frankly, our writing and sometimes personal lives. If you want to join the group, please visit here to sign up!

We are now entering our FIFTH month of 2023...can you believe it? Wasn't Christmas just a few short days ago? With another birthday over, I can't help thinking life is passing us by at such an alarming rate. Remember when summers seemed forever and you thought the school year would never end? For me, those days are LONG gone. Playing catch-up is a daily event. There truly are NOT ENOUGH hours in the day. As adults, we have little spare time for ourselves. Isn't it time to reclaim some time for us? That is what I have been thinking about this past month. Time for some "Me time." Life is not always about our jobs, family, and even writing. How can we become better writers if we are stressed out with all of life's dramas? So, for the rest of the year, I decided to do things that make me happy: spending more time outdoors and communing with nature; traveling to foreign lands (I'm going to Scotland for the first time in September!), and most importantly, continuing to get more healthy with better eating habits and exercise. With Covid and the threat of other airborne diseases, I have reclused into another person. It is time to reclaim my former self. Through these acts, I am certain it will filter into my future writing projects. Going with the flow of life, and experiencing new sights and sounds, will trigger my imagination! It may do the same for you. How many times have you put off that long weekend escape? Or, spending the day at the beach with a good book? Allow yourself to truly relax and let go of all your tensions and insecurities. Why not, act like a kid again and run through a glistening field of flowers...the possibilities are endless. With warmer weather here or on the way, it is time to leave the house and breathe in some much-needed fresh air. That is what I wish for you for at least this spring season.

See you all next month. I'd love to hear about new and exciting plans to reclaim your life.



13 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Healthy living, relaxing, and doing the things we enjoy are so important to having a fulfilling life. I'm trying to not be so busy so that I can focus more on healthy eating, exercise, and getting outside more like you. I'm also having fun planning my daughter's wedding with her.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good for you! Yes, we spend our days being adult and not having fun. We need more time for fun.
You will love Scotland! You have to hit Edinburgh - the castle is over a thousand years old. Loch Ness is a must as is the Isle of Skye.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Time to get healthy. I've got my garden planted and love spending time out there in it.

You will have SO much fun in Scotland.

Cathrina Constantine said...

Thank you for your inspirational post! Good Advice for all, especially me. I also remember the long, hot summers, and longer school years, but now the days are flying by like a super sonic jet!

My daughter loved Scotland, and you will too. Relax. Rest. Enjoy.

H. R. Sinclair said...

I hear ya! I'm fortunate in the winter I can fall into painting and the spring, gardening. It's critical to our health to find something each season that pulls us from worky-work and let's us enjoy life.

Jemi Fraser said...

I always think of my writing as my "me" time, but the nice weather calls me outside more often now too!

cleemckenzie said...

Reclaiming our lives is an interesting process, isn't it? I'm with you on the healthy life-style. Without our health, there's really nothing else. Happy May, Michael.

Meka James said...

Yes! 100% love your idea of having "me time". It can be hard thinking about all the things you have to accomplish and too easily get caught up in that and forget to refill your well. I try to have my downtime on the weekends to just relax and watch TV or play a game I enjoy.

Patricia JL said...

I am with you on this 100%! It's why in the evenings, I don't write. I spend the morning and afternoon working on writing (or crafting or a couple other work type things) and the evening is my me time. ALthough, I might knit then as knitting is relaxing and never feels like work. Writing doesn't always do that for me so I definitely need breaks from it.

Liza said...

Thanks for such an encouraging post! Enjoy your trip to Scotland. It's on my bucket list, but London comes first for me. That will be this summer for me.

Michelle Wallace said...

These days it seems like I have to dig really deep to find some "me" time. *sigh*
Enjoy your trip to Scotland!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

All great ideas! I started paring down my life a little when I realized that I had had at least six new books on my kindle that I kept planning to read and never have the time. I love to read. Why wasn't I doing it? Because I always overschedule and fail to consider the things I enjoy as a priority.

DMS said...

I am trying to relax and enjoy nature more for sure. So important to do things we love each day. :) Hope you are having a great summer so far!