Wednesday, August 20, 2014

THE BIG C BLOG HOP FOR MELISSA BRADLEY....

Hi All!


For all of you bloggers who missed this last week, I am reposting this. For those who have read it, I hope you bear with me. I just wanted to update.

Thanks to all who have already spread the word and signed up! But I'd love to see lots more of you who have the time to post and become part of the anthology!

Melissa went for her last round of chemo yesterday, so please send positive vibes and prayers her way that all went well. You ALL have been so gracious with your healing thoughts and prayers. I KNOW Melissa appreciates it so much. You guys are the best!



Well today I'd like to remind everyone of about the Anthology for cancer created by Melissa Bradley and myself. To refresh your memory a few weeks ago I mentioned that we are creating an anthology to help with Melissa's absorbent medical costs. She will also be donating part of the proceeds!

For this anthology post on Sept 15 a story about cancer. We are trying for comical, uplifting, inspirational... Let's give cancer a big kick in the pants! All posts will be included in the anthology so please edit it as best you can. Thanks All!!!

SO please sign up on the linky and feel free to post this badge on your blog. We'd really appreciate all of you getting the word out!

Melissa also sent me this letter to post for all of you... 


Thank you so very much for all the supportive and wonderful words of encouragement you have sent me. I feel truly blessed to be a part of this community. I am now done with stage 2 of my chemo treatments and it has been a fight. Particularly this last time as I had an allergic reaction to the chemo drugs. I turned redder than a fire engine and horrific pains in my legs. yet all I could think was "freakin" perfect, I look like I could land planes in a blizzard."  Yes, I do keep my sense of humor about me. It sure helps to see the funny side of everything.

I've learned a lot about cancer through this experience so far, more than I ever thought I would know. The most important is having a great attitude and keeping your sense of humor. I also know that this disease is very expensive. To that end I'd love to do a blog hop with vignettes of humor from people who have been touched by this disease, particularly reproductive cancer. I'd love to collect these stories in an anthology to be published. I want to share the profits with Gilda's Club Chicago, an organization that helps women fight endometrial. cervical, and ovarian cancers. I'll keep you all posted.

As far as myself, having lost my job (because what else could go wrong, right?), my friends have started a Go Fund Me page to help with my expenses. Here is the linkhttp://www.gofundme.com/c95f2o If you could share this or even donate, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much for everything.

Hugs,

Melissa

32 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Wonderful idea! Is the sign up to write something for the anthology? What's the theme or what kind of stories? Be happy to share it in my Monday post.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Oh! Same question - what are we writing?

Unknown said...

The sign up is for the blog hop, funny stories about cancer. Those who want can email me a clean version of their story to be included in the anthology.

Thank you so much, Michael. This is spectacular.

Melissa said...

What a worthy cause.
Keep fighting, Melissa.

Denise Covey said...

Hi Michael! Hi Melissa! Great to see this go up. I've signed up but I don't know any funny stories about cancer but can make one up, unless it has to be non-fiction!!

Maybe you could make it clearer for all we dunderheads out here!! We all want to help, just want to do it right!

Denise

Heather said...

Wishing Melissa the very best, for her fight, and the anthology. Cancer has devastated so much of my own family that my heart breaks for anyone whose life it touches.

Jo said...

Wishing you all the best. Not a writer so can't do much here unfortunately.

Empty Nest Insider said...

I'm sorry that you're going through all this, Melissa. Having an allergic reaction to the drugs must've been even more terrifying. When Michael first mentioned the idea of a blogfest, I thought it was a great idea, and Gilda's Club is a wonderful organization. I'm glad you've kept your fantastic sense of humor, and know your fighting spirit will see you through.

Julie

Anonymous said...

Michael, thanks for sharing about this blog hop. Melissa, you are in my prayers.

Loni Townsend said...

Best wishes, Melissa. And thank you for working toward this excellent cause, Michael.

Empty Nest Insider said...

Michael & Melissa - Since my first attempt didn't directly link up to my blog, I had to sign up again. Please delete #4, and use #5 instead. Sorry for the mishap.

Julie

Tammy Theriault said...

So gonna do, but you may need to gently remind me! I've been the worst lately at remember things. I fed the fish in the sidebar some horrendous short shorts some pot belly guys were wearing. it was justice, trust me. HOPE YOU'RE DOING GREAT!!! love always and for-ev-er

Tyrean Martinson said...

I have a few stories from my mom-in-laws fight with lymphoma and breast cancer that are pretty funny - will that work?

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I'll have to think if I know of any funny stories related to cancer. It's such a serious topic that my brain fails me at the moment. But your heart is definitely in the right place.

Nicki Elson said...

Funny stories about the Big C. Love it. I have fond memories of sitting in chemo treatments w/ my dad. We called them Chemo Parties because we laughed pretty much the whole time. And the laughter certainly has done right by him so far. :)

Melissa, I hope you're feeling well and that you're not in a condition to land planes again any time soon!

cleemckenzie said...

I will post on fb about your anthology and do some tweets. I wish I could contribute, but right now I'm over my head in work and book stuff. All my best to you, Melissa. My thoughts for your return to health go out to you. And, Michael, as always, you're the best.

Jemi Fraser said...

All my best to Melissa - sending best wishes, hugs and good health vibes!!!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I'd love to take part in this but time is tight for me at the moment. If I come up with a story, I'll sign up. In the meantime, I'll help to spread the word.

Cathrina Constantine said...

Since my mom had lymphoma, I'm trying to think of something uplifting and funny, but it's hard. Let me think for a day or two.

Trisha said...

Perhaps I can just share my song that I wrote about my own cancer experience (not deadly cancer, but still, cancer), and how I got dumped by a guy a few days after getting cancer cut out of my forehead. ;)

farawayeyes said...

I'm a survivor of cervical cancer and still fighting the after affects of cancer treatment. I may have a funny story or two, but let me get this straight - You want us to post that story on our blog on the 15th of September and or mail a copy to Melissa for the Anthology. Please let me know. I really want to do something to help. I've been pretty absent from the blogosphere recently but I really like Melissa and my heart goes out to her. I do have a story that I would be willing to share for this cause that is very personal and more inspirational than humorous. Let me know if you want that also. I'll keep checking back her for some of these answers. BTW - I was born and raised in Chicago and know youse guys are tough. Hang in there Melissa and than you Michael for doing such a wonderful thing.

Deniz Bevan said...

This is great, Michael. Can't wait to do my little bit to help.

Unknown said...

August 27th, 2014

Dear Melissa and Dear Michael,

This sounds great. I hope that I can contribute something. I've got an idea for a story, but since I'm not really a writer, it may not be good enough for the anthology. (Ask Michael. He's read some of my posts.)

It is a tall order to write something funny or laughable about cancer, especially when you are in my position, and don't know enough about it; at least not first hand. I think I would be devastated, if I were diagnosed with cancer.

What I will do, is this: I'll write my story and e-mail the rough draft to you, Melissa or Michael; whoever is acting as editor. If you like it, I will put it in the blog hop before September 15th. If not, then no one will have even see it. I won't drag down the quality of the blog hop or anthology.

What a double-whammy! First to be ill with this terrible disease, and then to have to pay enormous medical bills, whether or not you are cured. My heart goes out to you.

I hope I can write something worthy of your courage.

Anna

P.S.
Just a practical question. Approximately how many words do you want this to be?

Julie Flanders said...

What a wonderful idea. I don't know if I'll be able to come up with a story but will do what I can to help spread the word.
Best wishes and keep kicking cancer's butt, Melissa.

Livia Peterson said...

Awesome idea, Michael! I signed up.

M Pax said...

i would love to help and love Melissa, but I don't have any funny stories about cancer. Only sad ones. :( And I'm under a deluge of deadline. If I come up with something, I'll email it or something. Hugs to Melissa.

Nick Wilford said...

I'd love to help with this. Both my father and aunt have been affected by cancer. You're right that sometimes a sense of humour is one of the best things to get us through. I'll try my best to come up with something!

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Dear Melissa and Michael, you are two very special people.

Michael, I know how much you've done for the old broads too. And you keep pouring yourself out for others in need. Your heart is golden. We all love you.

Melly, my sister friend, you got a loud guffaw out of me with your comment about your red legs. Keep a smile and stash of jokes up your sleeve, in your bra, under the hospital bedsheets, where-ever. Your sense of humor WILL get you through to the other side.

Much love and gratitude for your loving-kindness.
xoRobyn

Susan Oloier said...

Such a great cause and a terrific way to fundraise. I've had cancer, too. And, yes, it is very expensive. I'd be happy to spread the news about the anthology.

J Lenni Dorner said...

I don't think I have a funny cancer story to share- but I'm posting about your hop on my social media sites. Best of luck and stay strong.

dolorah said...

I have signed up today, but not sure I will have story to share. I posted the bloghop today though.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Michael, this is Kathy Matthews, who submitted the "Ken Wins" post. I wanted to let you know that Ken's cancer has already returned and is very aggressive. He has been in the hospital for the past month, and is returning home to rest and try to figure out what to do next. At this point, his cancer is diagnosed at terminal. This is a very, very sad thing, but I wanted you to know because it kind of changes the story that I submitted.

Kathy