Monday, July 8, 2013

A ... THE FOURTH ABOVE THE ROOFTOPS ... THE CITY EXPLODES WITH COLOR ...

Hi, Everyone,

I hope you all had a wonderful fourth weekend. Chicago certainly was a whirlwind of beach parties, bbqs, and coconut suntan lotion. With the sun and high humidity it was not unlike a weekend at a South Florida beach.

I had no special plans for the fourth. Pretty much just another day for me. I have few friends in Chicago and they had their own time planned with families and closer friends. So, my usual power walk at the beach and a few hours in the gym before it closed, were the highlights of my day. Exciting, right?

The fourth's perfect weather brought out the masses. Every bistro, Starbucks, boutique, and inch of Michigan Ave was packed tighter than a commuters on the subway during rush hour. Now that's a LOT OF PEOPLE. LOL.

As the sun headed west, a friend called and asked if I'd like to see the fireworks at Navy Pier. This certainly is one of THE highlights on the fourth. I usually view them from the beach, across from my condo. But the massive crowds convinced me to forgo my yearly viewing. However, the invite was one I couldn't pass up. A twist of venue convinced me to head downtown.

On Wacker drive, I glanced up to a towering building, piercing the setting sky. Revolving through the doors, I met with security and was told to head to the 35th floor. As the doors opened, my friend met me, carrying an assortment of cheese, fruit, nibbles, and a few bottled waters.

"We're heading to the 47th floor." We jumped back into the elevator and within a minute, the doors opened ... the ceiling to floor windows revealed a panoramic view of the city. A clear shot over Navy Pier, promised to be an exciting fireworks display.

We still had about a half an hour to kill, so we wondered through the expansive spaces. Dozens of windowed offices held views of Chicago's greatest architectural wonders. The TIMES building glowed like a beacon across the Chicago river. My friend disappeared for a moment, and I wandered into a luxurious corner boardroom. The polished paneled walls reflected the city lights. Flashes of red popped out the corner of my eyes. When I faced toward the western windows, my jaw dropped.

On the 47the floor, I had a bird's eye view of the city. I edged to the window and sat on the sill, feeling like I was sitting in a first class, only better. Flashes of ruby, gold, and emerald popped throughout the western and northern skies. A symphony of color choreographed just for me.

Silent orchestral strings played in my head as the city skies took on a living and breathing life of their own. Time had no presence, as perfusions of colors melted from one into the other.

"Hey, Michael. The fireworks are just about to start."

The spell was broken ...


I will never forget those few precious moments. It's times like these that make up for all the hum drum days.

I wish all of you THAT special moment.

Did you ever have a moment like this? I'd love to know.

Have a great Monday everyone!


31 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It might have been brief, but you'll never forget it. That must've been an amazing view. You saw another world in those moments.

shelly said...

Happy Monday to you, too! The 4th of July at my house was spent dodging rain, going shopping, out to dinner, and then watching the fireworks from my sliding window with Sir Poops and Hair Ball. Hair Ball was in awe as they exploded into the sky.

Hugs and chocolate,
Shelly

Rachna Chhabria said...

What an amazing view you had Michael. You will never forget it. And once again I love the way you write. Its magical :)

Jemi Fraser said...

How cool! Although I'd never get too close to the glass - no head for heights like that! :)

JJ said...

Wow! That is cool. Happy Monday to you.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Did the fireworks measure up after that?

I remember standing at the edge of Loch Ness in Scotland and having a moment like that. Such a powerful feeling to that place. Really magical.

mshatch said...

I didn't do much for the holiday, went to my sisters for homemade crabcakes and strawberry shortcake, both of which were out of this world delicious. That was enough to give the day an A+ in my book :)

Melissa said...

Wow. What an experience, and a description! Too cool. :)

We got rained on, huddled under tarps and umbrellas until it stopped, then watched the kids shoot of fireworks in the street. Doesn't hold a sparkler to your 4th. LOL At least the rain fire-proofed our dry yards and roofs.

Anonymous said...

A wonderful memory that you'll relive throughout your life.

Yvonne.

Natalie Aguirre said...

We were in Chicago for a family reunion once on July 4th and saw the fireworks. They were amazing.

Our July 4th was very ordinary. My daughter had to work the closing shift as a lifeguard. I tried to relax a bit of the day but mostly it was housework and gardening.

S.P. Bowers said...

What a beautiful moment! I'm glad you found it.

The fourth for us was pretty uneventful, torrential rain, sick family, and finishing the basement.

S.P. Bowers said...

I should say working on finishing the basement, lest you think we're actually done. Sigh.

Susan Oloier said...

Some of the finest memories are the briefest ones, as well. So very lovely, Michael.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Sounds really great. Glad the dementors allowed you a holiday.

The Words Crafter said...

Oh, how cool is that? Maybe it will crop up in some writing someday!

Probably the most amazing moment I ever had was watching my niece being born. One moment, nothing. The next, a crying, grasping, beautiful child. It's beyond my ability to describe.

If you ever get an opp like that again, take your camera!

Danette said...

I have had a moment like that... and you know what I wish? I wish I wish I could remember it the way I intended it when I said, "I'll always remember this moment." I can never recapture the way I wish I could- it's just a faint memory but I have had those moments many times- it's what keeps me (all of us I suppose, yeah?) going.

Unknown said...

Had one just last night. It wasn't so glorious or magical as yours, but I was sitting on my front porch with my husband just watching the trees grow. My kids were running around the front yard and I thought: This is definitely the good stuff.

nutschell said...

mustve been a spectacular view!!
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Brief lingers in the mind longer. And any moment of fragile wonder is priceless. Glad you had one on the fourth, Roland :-)

Michelle Wallace said...

A special moment in time... fleeting yet memorable!

Dana said...

What a view that must have been! Glad you were able to experience such a wonder. :)

Samantha May said...

I'm so jealous of your 4th! That must have been quite an amazing sight.

It rained all day in TN. I worked through closing and then went to a friend's house where I had...a little too much fun ;)

Hope you had a great Monday!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Michael - sounds like a fabulous view point - and then having that magical moment of peace to see the world from above .. glorious - as you such a memorable moment in time - delighted you had that invite - and seeing fireworks from such a privileged position .. must have been such a sight ..

Cheers and happy 4th - wonderful weather we're having here finally .. Hilary

dolorah said...

What a fantastic view. It only takes a brief moment of beauty and peace to wash away weeks worth of humdrums. This is true for me too.

Good friends, fun and a suspended moment in time. Sounds glorious.

......dhole

PK HREZO said...

Hey Michael! How awesome!! You described it beautifully. Felt like I was there.
I have these moments now and then when I'm alone in nature. They really do make life special and by taking notice, more livable.
You know you've got a friend waiting for you down in FLA too. :D ((hugs))

Morgan said...

Oh gosh... I LIVE for moments like those... I know exactly what you're talking about. It's like life seems to slow down and pause... and it's just you and that magic moment...

I bet it was an amazing sight. :D

cleemckenzie said...

Those special moment are worth all the humdrum, aren't they?

What a view you had.

Here's to more very special moments.

Jeff Hargett said...

I work in a building 21 floors high (tallest in town) but have never seen fireworks from that perspective. I can only imagine the display. Must have been grand indeed.

Denise Covey said...

That must have been a special moment, Michael. It often puzzles me why the skyscrapers are peopled by offices on the floors with the majestic views. I think people should live on the upper floors so they can admire the view and the workers have gone home.

I'm glad your Fourth perked up.

Denise

Carol Kilgore said...

One moment - driving across the high desert in New Mexico at sunset. Maybe one moment is all we're afforded in this life.

Charmaine Clancy said...

I think I had one of those moments just reading your post :)