Wednesday, September 19, 2018

AN EARTHY ANGEL...YES, THEY ARE STILL WITH US!

Hi Everyone,

I am so happy to be writing this post today. It's been several years since my last Earthly Angel sighting. Sad, but true...

BUT...

Yesterday, one took me by surprise and restored my faith that they are still walking among us. For those of you who are not familiar with my EA posts, let me explain. An Earthly Angel is a very special person indeed. Out of sheer kindness they come to the rescue of another human being without expecting anything in return.

In a big city like Chicago, these wonderful beings are rare, or at least out of plain sight. One would be hard pressed to find one especially in the downtown area where there is so much hustle and bustle.

I live in an area called Printer's Row. It used to house all the book and newspaper printers in the city. Now, it consists of these wonderful old building turned condo, with storefronts on the lower levels. An historic landmark graces the main cross street at Polk and Dearborn. Dearborn Station used to be the downtown rail station at the turn of the twentieth century. Now, it too, has been reconverted for commercial space. It was in front of this wonderful old building that I encountered an EA.

Several minutes before, I had met a friend at a nearby park about a block away. My Westie, Hamlet and I were sitting by the fountain, when my friend joined us. We chatted about our day, and then he decided to accompany us in a walk around the neighborhood before heading home. Just before we arrived at Hamlet's favorite park, a few blocks away, my friend realized his wallet was missing. We feverishly checked his backpack and the shopping bag he was carrying. The wallet was nowhere to be found.

He raced back to the fountain and I followed close behind. We checked the area where we sat, even the garbage cans surrounding the plaza, hoping to at least find the wallet. Most people just take the cash and toss the wallet, knowing fully well that the credit cards would be canceled immediately. Sadly, we found nothing.

He lost not only his wallet, but his iPhone was inside as well. Not to mention all his ID's, credit cards, medical cards, and CASH... he had just withdrawn a considerable amount a few minutes before meeting me.

Since he had no landline, I offered to help him call and cancel everything with my cell phone. As we walked in front of Dearborn Station a lovely young African American woman stopped us. She looked straight at my friend.

"Are you Ulises Gonzalez?"

Both of us looked shell shocked. Right away I answered..."Did you find a wallet?"

She smiled so sweetly and pulled the wallet out of her bag, handing it to my friend. Everything was intact. Nothing was taken. "Yes. I had just left your apartment building. I looked at your address on your license and planned to leave the wallet with the doorman, but he wasn't there." She looked up at him and smiled again. "I am so glad I found you."

Still in shock, Ulises just stood there. I hugged and thanked her. I insisted she take a reward. "At least have dinner on us." 

She shook her head. "That is not necessary. I am just so happy you have your wallet back."

I nudged Ulises, and he sprang to life, thanking and hugging her, too.

"You must let me buy you dinner. Take this, please." He stuffed a bill into her hand and hugged her again. 

In all the excitement, I forgot to ask her name.  I looked at my friend and said, "God certainly sent an angel down to you today. What a sweetheart."

He agreed. We talked about her during the rest of the walk. 

I hope to run into her again. It may never happen. But I hope so. She looked like one of the college students from Columbia University which is in my neighborhood. She certainly found my friend's apartment rather quickly. 

Her face was lovely, with large, dark eyes. And a smile that could melt you with a glance. May God bless that caring young woman. She is certainly an EA in my book!

Writing this post reminded me how much I enjoy discovering Earthly Angels, and writing about them. So PLEASE if you have an EA story, do share it in the comments. OR you can send it to me and I will feature it in a post.

Thanks for dropping by today. I hope this story puts a smile on your face and warmth in your heart! There is so much GOOD in or world, we just have to be aware of it.

Sending out a big hug to you all! Have a wonderful rest of week and weekend!






14 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

What an honest and caring woman. And amazing she found you guys just like that. Keep up posted on angels like that. They are proof of the good (and God) in people.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

What a wonderful young lady. I hope you do see her again.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Michael - how exceedingly fortunate - and as Alex and Diane say what a wonderful person ... so polite too by the sound of it - good deduction on seeing you both ... a delightful post - and I'm so glad it ended happily - cheers Hilary

Elizabeth Seckman said...

It wonderful to encounter good people, who are obviously angel-inspired.

emaginette said...

I think my cup is full now thanks to you and your angel. :-)

Janie Junebug said...

What a lovely outcome. I'm glad you shared it with us. I work for a credit card company. I'm amazed by all the people who call us to say they have found a credit card and hope we can get in touch with the owner.

Love,
Janie

Jo said...

There are still good people in the world, unfortunately we don't see enough of them. Lovely story Michael, thanks.

Yolanda Renée said...

What a beautiful story. So glad you found an angel. Your friend must have been beside himself with fear and worry. Thanks for sharing, I needed that today! Everyday!

Julie Flanders said...

What a fantastic story!! Touched my heart to read it. Thanks for sharing and I'm so glad this wonderful angel helped Ulises.

I didn't know you were back in Chicago, Michael!! I'm sorry I didn't get in touch with you while I was there. I thought you were still in Florida. So glad you were able to get that situation with the condo worked out. Take care!

Anonymous said...

Stories like these always restore hope in humanity. We need more EAs walking around.

dolorah said...

That was sweet. I know there are good people in the world still. I'm glad everything was returned.

Melissa said...

There are still a few honest people around. I hope she gets her kindness back ten times over.

DMS said...

What a wonderful story! I am so glad she found the wallet and returned it. Such great timing too. I always love finding EAs as you call them. Thanks for sharing this story and helping to spread kindness. :)
~Jess

Deniz Bevan said...

Oh, what a heartwarming story!