Wednesday, October 3, 2018

FALL IS IN THE AIR and ANOTHER IWSG POST!

Hi All,

A crisp breeze is in the air and Autumn is here! How fast has this year gone? Already October and Christmas is just around the corner.

It always amazes me how fast time is flying by. Imagine, this month is my EIGHT year BLOGAVERSARY! Eight years in this wonderful community. I have learned so much about support, dedication, friendship, and even love... love for writing. For the first forty plus years of my life, my only interest was in the arts: drawing, painting, illustration, and music. Although I always enjoyed reading, I never would have dreamed I would be a writer. It's amazing how versatile a person can be once their livelihood is in jeopardy. Back in 2008 the real estate market had crashed and so did my interior design business. 

Books saved my life and that's when I realized I wanted to write. I wrote my first MG fantasy novel. All 125K words of it. LOL  I hear you all laughing. But from that first book I met all of you. The support from more experienced writers helped me so much. And only a few short years later, our friend, Alex Cavanaugh created the IWSG! And look at it today! It's a force of it's own, helping hundreds, maybe even thousands of writers. Let's all give a CHEER for ALEX and the IWSG! ALL of it's members are here to HELP and to receive HELP from the group. That is the beauty of this group!

If you aren't apart of it yet, it takes just one click...sign up here.

My insecurities this month are the same as many of you. Is my work good enough? Will I finish that first draft in time? Can I get through all the editing without giving up? Will I find a home for my new baby? These are all questions that plague us. It is part of all of our journeys. But how do we keep motivated? How do we not GIVE UP? The last is a LOADED question. I have asked myself that one many, many times over the years. 

The answer is not easy. How long do we keep trying? ..... As long as it takes for us to achieve our goals. Yes, we will fall flat on our faces. Yes, we will bury ourselves in life's issues. But the bottom line is.... we are writers and we HAVE TO WRITE! SO like all of you, I will carry on, no matter how long my journey takes. And....you will, too.

Keep going my friends... Keep writing and when it gets tough, pick up one of your favorite books and think about how long it took your favorite writer to get that book in your hands...

HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY ALL!

PS... I am continually being thrown out of my blogger sign in..so I am having the hardest time leaving comments. I am visiting, but my comments are not posting. Anyone else having this problem today?


37 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You're welcome and thanks! Congratulations on eight years. This community has been so inspiring and helpful. It's just amazing.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Congrats on 8 years.

We keep trying because we only fail if we quit.

Julie Flanders said...

I started writing when my life took a bad turn after the economic crash as well. It's amazing how therapeutic it has been and is really such a gift, even in the frustrating times.
So glad to have connected with you through the blogs, Michael. Happy blogging anniversary!

Anonymous said...

I'm like you, I never expected to be a writer and was more focused on art. I've actually gotten back into painting again, but the writing is still there.

David Powers King said...

Like you, I can't leave it alone. I have to write! May you enjoy this month, my personal favorite of months. :)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Michael - congratulations on the Eight Year anniversary ... and life gets us at times ... but we push through and have lots of support here - good luck and take care - cheers Hilary

Crystal Collier said...

LOL! My first full novel was a 140K MG fantasy. Haha!

Tonja Drecker said...

Congratulations on your blogoversary! It is amazing how fast time flies. All we can do is keep going and trying.

emaginette said...

I plan to keep going until I stop breathing. Then I may pass the baton to my son. hehehe

Anna from elements of emaginette

Jennifer Hawes said...

Yes, as long as it takes! Keep going! Fall is my favorite time to write and live life.

H. R. Sinclair said...

Happy Autumn! Congrats on the 8 years.

Cathrina Constantine said...

Great Inspirational Post, Michael. Thank You!!!

Michelle Wallace said...

Congrats on 8 years, Mr Blurb King!
Yes, it's a daily grind. But we keep at it.
I've just started my second round of 100words100days. It works for me.
I'm in no rush... just enjoying writing! That's also important, to enjoy the process.
I don't want it to ever become a drudgery.

How is the memoir moving along?
You should join us over at the WEP challenge one of these months...
Take care, Michael. ((HUGS))

Carrie Butler said...

Wow! Happy Blogiversary, my friend. :D

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I've always said writing is more like an addiction than a job. The desire just doesn't go away, no matter how rough it gets.

I have had that trouble commenting. I found that using a different web browser helped. So, now I keep chrome, firefox, and safari on my home screen and if one gives me a headache, I go to another. (I'm pretty sure it's gremlins in the universe trying to steal my joy, but I refuse to surrender. LOL)

dolorah said...

A lot of people, including me, are having blogging problems lately. My anti-virus program is blocking almost all the blogs; I am just unblocking and continuing even though the virus says no. And when I click on the comments in word press sites, they do not come up. I have to click on the title to get everything loaded. Just another glitch in blogging, lol.

Congrats on the blogversary. Its been a long long time for me too. Somedays I make the decision that I am no longer going to write. Then another story idea hits and I spend some time on it. Hard to continue, harder to quit.

Toi Thomas said...

Happy 8 years!
I'm glad it's Fall where you are; I only wish it was Fall where I am.
I adore this community, the hop, the groups, and more.
Thanks for your words of encouragement.

Denise Covey said...

Some have told me they can't leave comments on my blog. I vaguely remember google sending something about https? not http anymore or visitors will be told your blog isn't safe. Darn. So my comments are pretty light on with the people who normally come by not coming by. I wonder if you've tried my blog?

Anyway, Michael, great that you're so upbeat this month. I hope all continues to go well and you find a home for your baby.

Diane Burton said...

Michael, thanks for the uplifting post. Congrats on your longevity. LOL No, you are not the only one experiencing difficulties getting to and leaving comments on posts. My anit-virus threw up warning notices for almost all the blogs. Since I know you all, I just ignored the warnings, but what a pain. Good luck with your writing and the rest of the arts that you enjoy.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thanks Alex. It certainly is~

Michael Di Gesu said...

So true, L. Diane.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Me, too, Julie!

Michael Di Gesu said...

We never lose our love for art and creating it, Patricia.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Mine, too, David. Thanks!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Too, Funny!

Michael Di Gesu said...

So true. Thanks Tonja!

Michael Di Gesu said...

That's great that your son has a love for writing!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thanks Jen... I do keep plugging along!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thanks Holly!. Same to you!

Michael Di Gesu said...

You're so welcome, Cathrina.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi Michelle. Thanks. Coming along, but slowly. Still have outside distractions from keeping me writing. UGH... but I'll get there.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thanks Carrie.

Jemi Fraser said...

Yay for the IWSG indeed!!!! It's such a great organization!
I think my biggest insecurities lie in that editing process but I'm working on it :)
Good luck to you Michael!

Carrie-Anne said...

Happy blogaversary!

125K is a drop in the bucket next to the wordcounts of many of my historical sagas! That's like the baseline minimum of traditional hist-fic. It even feels too short for a book that spans several years instead of taking place over a shorter timeframe.

Michelle Wallace said...

You will! 😊😊

DMS said...

Amazing the twists and turns in our paths as we discover new things about ourselves. Congrats on your Blogoversary! 8 years! Glad when things were tough you took to writing and joined the writing community. Love the support from everyone online. Good luck with your writing. :)
~Jess

Elizabeth Mueller said...

Michael! You are amazing for sticking with blogging. I had lost heart when life swamped me and my books died. But I feel them calling back and I am alive yet again. :D

Good to see you!