Wednesday, January 23, 2019

AN UPDATE ON MOMMY KAY!

Hi All!

Thank you all for your kind wishes and support. Although I wasn't able to accomplish my goal of 50 pages in a week, I DID FINISH THE MEMOIR... YAY~


It took me two weeks and I wrote 70 more pages. Now it's complete at 64k words and 258 pages. To think I was sweating to make 225... Lol, but the last chapters filled up the word/page count beautifully. I'll be sending it off to my editor TOMORROW. EEK! She won't be able to get to it until Feb 1... then the waiting begins. I'll be a wreck for sure.

I'd also like to take this time to thank my good friend and amazing author, Carol Riggs, for her help cleaning up the grammatical errors, missed words and quotes. LOL. She has the patience of a saint. You would think after writing for SO MANY years, my grammar and punctuation would be spot on by now. It is better, but I still have a long way to go. And more thanks to Denise, Renee, and Donna for their input as well.

I can't begin to tell you how fantastic I feel that I wrote another book! It has been many years since my second novel and then I just fell out of the loop. But I'm back, and I hope the momentum keeps up!

Kim and I are actually collaborating on another book. This time a fitness and health book for women over fifty. Kim, being a phys ed teacher and in amazing shape herself, I convinced her to share her secrets with other women. Since I was heavily involved in fitness for decades, this is also my chance to start over and become the healthy man I was three years ago. Men and woman over fifty need to keep fit, we have LONG LIVES to LIVE and we shouldn't have to live them in pain or with illness. Eating right and exercising can ward off so many afflictions. So stay tuned for our next book...

While I'm waiting for the editor, I have already worked out a rough for my query... I actually had fun writing this one. It is over 500 words though, so I need to trim it down, but I really don't want to... I think it's great, but the standard is around 300 words. Ugh. That's a LOT of cutting. I'll also be spending time researching for the right agent for this memoir. Thankfully, I've already narrowed it down to five top New York agents. Since this memoir heavily features the NYC, I feel a NY agent would be best for it...

I hope all my northern friends are staying warm. This winter is "biting" for sure. Even here in Orlando, our temps are CHILLY. But I love it like this. It's like early spring here and the flowers are budding and the ornamental trees are showing off their colors proudly.

Take care, everyone! I'll be dropping by to say hello to you very soon... today's my blogging day!





26 comments:

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I almost busted my butt three times yesterday on icy side walks and parking lots. I think I should come suffer through the Orlando winter instead. LOL

Congrats on finishing. I can't wait to read it!! And I'm excited to hear you'll be coming up with a book for fitness. I'm going to be joining the plus 50 crowd in less than 8 months.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thanks Elizabeth! We'll welcome you with open arms! I actually loved turning 50. I was in great shape at that time and had just finished my second novel. Now almost eight years later... EEK... I am not as in great shape, HOWEVER, I am ready and with my new book and future book, I am starting to feel that energy and excitement again! So by my birthday in April, I should be a healthier me.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Chilly in Orlando? You've been south too long.
Congratulations on finishing and sending it off to your editor.
People over fifty really do need to stay in shape, as parts don't work as well as they should anymore. Of course, be nice if they were already in shape, right?

Chrys Fey said...

Congratulations! You mentioned in your comment on my blog that you finished the memoir, and I couldn't be happier for you. Good luck with the edits and the query letter. Oh, speaking of...I wouldn't worry so much with cutting it down. Just keep everything to one page and the blurb part of it to 2-3 paragraphs. That's usually the norm. All the best! :)

Michael Di Gesu said...

Funny... it was in the 30's the other night. I'd call that chilly. Definitely, but life happens, like with me, and sometimes other priorities take precedence and before we know it, it happens. I was in shape for decades before it had happened to me.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thanks Chrys! It does fit on one page. It can use a tweak, but it will be longer than usual.

Liza said...

Congratulations on finishing. Such a wonderful accomplishment. Wishing you all the best as you move on toward publication.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thank you, Liza. I am thrilled to have finally accomplished this. I just hope it brings many smiles to my readers.

Jemi Fraser said...

Exciting news! So glad you were able to finish the story and get it to the editor!
We're only about 10 below freezing today and the sun is shining with no wind - a beautiful day :)

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thanks Jemi! Me, too! Actually that isn't too bad. As long as there is NO WIND. That's why I RUN from Chicago because the winters are brutal because of the wind.

RasmaSandra said...

Congratulations! I am now warming my bones in Daytona Beach Florida and realizing I needed this very much after all the winters I suffered through in Riga, Latvia. When the nighttime temps dip to 50 now I even start to shiver so I am glad really cold winters for now are a thing of the past. However, I also know that eventually I will want to see the beauty of snow again.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi Rasma! Thanks! Glad you're keeping warm. I'm not too far from you in Orlando. Gorgeous day today. It will be cool tomorrow though, so bundle up!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on finishing!

Michelle Wallace said...

Congrats on finishing the memoir!
I'm the opposite end of the globe - enjoying the hot, summer days!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thanks Patricia!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thanks Michelle! I am so happy that I did! Now for the edits. Lol

Julie Flanders said...

Congratulations!!! That's so awesome. I'm excited for you and I hope your new collaboration is a big success too. I just turned 50 so I know I could use the guidance LOL.

H. R. Sinclair said...

CONGRATS! Finishing something is awesome and a new lead for a new book. So double congrats!

Yolanda Renée said...

How awesome that you're writing a new book with Kim. Sounds like another winner!
Waiting is always the hardest part, but you've got goals and other ideas that need your attention, you'll do fine!
Thanks for letting me part of it!

Tanza Erlambang said...

well written post.
have a great day

Denise Covey said...

Thanks for the update on MK which arrived today. Awesome! And another collaboration! Go you!

emaginette said...

Congrats! Bask for a bit then get back to work. ;-)

Anna from elements of emaginette

Melissa said...

Congratulations, Michael! That's awesome! Best of luck!!!

cleemckenzie said...

Great news, Michael! We all fall out of the loop at times; it takes stamina to get back in, and you've done it.

DMS said...

What a wonderful accomplishment. You must be so excited. I love that you are collaborating and working on another book. Yay! :)
~Jess

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Michael - having jumped the pond - I'm way behind ... but great you've finished Mommy Kay and also have new projects ahead of you ... congratulations and good luck with all things - health particularly ... I'll join you - cheers Hilary