Wednesday, February 1, 2023

FEBRUARY- WINTER BLUES-TRYING TO STAY FOCUSED...AN IWSG POST.


 Good day, All!

Welcome back to another IWSG post!

Thanks to the creator, Alex, and all of his remarkable and giving staff, we are here the first Wednesday of each month to help each other through our insecurities and, frankly, our writing and sometimes personal lives. If you want to join the group, please visit here to sign up!

I hope it was successful for those who "pitched" during the IWSG Twitter pitch! In the past years, I had several requests, but alas, this year, none. But that is okay. At least I tried, and that is what is most important. It is a great opportunity for writers from all levels, and here's a CHEER for all the agents, publishers, writers, and IWSG staff!

I don't know about you, but for some odd reason, I have a harder time focusing in the freezing winter months. The gloomy, sunless days zap my creativity and focus. I have "attempted" several times to revisit my Noir and FINALLY finish it. What do you do to regain your focus when winter hits? I find it frustrating. When the sun is out, and I am able to clear my head with a brisk walk around town or through the park, the ideas flow, and I race back home to write. Now, after bundling up in FOUR layers, gloves, and a hat, just taking my dog around the block is torment. I miss my daily walks. So, for now, I am playing upbeat music, catching up on some winter home projects, and pushing myself an hour or so to focus on writing. I would appreciate any advice. 

Luckily, I leave for sunny Florida at the end of the month. I will bask in the warmth for a month before returning to the cold, damp, and possibly more snow. I am grateful for my time, but I can't help thinking about the early spring. I am hoping for early foliage to POP, especially after the winter we are having here so far. 

Stay warm, everyone! All the best with your writing endeavors during another winter month.

14 comments:

Pat Garcia said...

Hi, Michael,
The winter here is also hard. I sometimes think the sky is dark and grey every day.
I have no solution. Just smile and bear it. It will soon pass.
Shalom aleichem

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi Michael, I didn't take part in this year's IWSGPit as I had no manuscript ready. You can always query agents directly, that works for many of us.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I hate the cold and winter. Actually, I find the wind the worst part. I usually do better in the winter. I finally got back some of my inspiration by finding an editor and cover artist for some completed books. I hope you find your muse soon.

Kyra Lennon said...

I have the exact opposite issue lol! I find it harder to focus in the summer as I want to be outside in the sun, but in the winter, I'd rather beat home in front of my laptop. :D

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hopefully you can get some writing done in Florida.
I don't think it matters to me. It gets dark earlier and who wants to go out in the dark and cold? Rather stay in and write. Maybe look at it that way!

Natalie Aguirre said...

That's great you participated in the pitch contest. I like to look at the cold weather like Alex does. I have an exercise bike, my dog, my writing, blogging, reading, and TV. So I'm all set.

Patricia JL said...

I am jealous you get to go somewhere sunny. The winter months here in Michigan can get rough with the sun coming out once a month at times.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Happy to hear you participated in the pitch session. You might be right about winter months making it hard to write.

cleemckenzie said...

I liked your pitches. Wish I were a publisher, but alas...I'm not. Keep going, but I'm sure you will. Here's to a lovely spring.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I've been a sloggy writer myself. The only cure for me is to just write and allow myself to write poorly, if that's all that comes to me. Crap is good fertilizer. Feel free to write it.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Michael - I too am not happy in the dark, cold days - but the planet needs them ... and I so look forward to Spring. I'm glad you're not far away from Florida time ... keep the thoughts flowing as you can - cheers and all the best for the coming year - Hilary

Fundy Blue said...

I hear you, Michael! My husband and I have escaped the cold and snow of our Colorado winter for Hawaii. The two things a Colorado winter has going for it is sunshine and beauty. I find it easier for me to write when it's cold. It clears my head. But as I get older I find the cold harder. Have a great time in Florida and may early foliage to pop when you return home.

H. R. Sinclair said...

I like winter--when I can stay indoors and the lights stay on. 😉

Diane Burton said...

Winters are hard, esp. if you are around the Great Lakes. Gray skies, gray days. Very difficult to focus. I need to find the "grow" lamp my daughter gave me to combat SAD. I'll bet Florida will help.