Sunday, October 2, 2011

CAMPAIGNER CHALLENGE TWO ... THE PLIGHT OF AN IMAGO

Well, I finally finished my entry for Rach Harrie's Campaigner challenge two. She really put us through hell for this one. She chose four very obscure words this time: Imago in the title, Miasma, Lacuna, synchronicity, and oscitate. Can you believe these?

When I looked them up and put them together and thought, How on earth can I get these words to blend in a 200 word Flash Fiction piece?

Well, let me tell you it wasn't easy. But I did manage to create an entry with all the words and exactly the requested word count. Also for an additional challenge she had asked for us to refer to a mirror in the story.

So, without further delay, here is my entry. I hope you enjoy it. And please vote/like mine on Rach's site if you do.

THE PLIGHT OF AN IMAGO


A golden leaf swept through the miasma as the buzz of wings approached a murky bog. 
A jagged piece of mirror glinted from a narrow stream of light, catching the large facetted eye of a frazzled female dragonfly.
A thought seeped into Splendora’s mind. Could this be it? Something so inconsequential.
A moment later, she zoomed down and scooped up the fragment, bringing it to her lair.
A tiny book of considerable age rested open on the rocky floor as she landed, gently placing her new found treasure along side of it.
A thread-like leg flipped through several pages stopping abruptly at the lacuna. 
A frustrated oscitate escaped from a narrow slit from under her bulging eyes. “What is missing? What is missing,” she hissed, slamming the book closed.
A new thought pressed like a vice as she stared a her reflection. The synchronicity of finding the mirror and the book is obvious, but how do I get them to work together?
A flight of fancy caused the whisper of a tiny breeze that reopened the book to an obscure page. Intrigued she buzzed back toward the book.
A glistened wing appeared in the mirror and then she knew.
Don't forget to drop by Rach's site here for the other entries. Please vote like on mine # 187, if you truly enjoyed it. Thanks.

Enjoy your Sunday everyone!



34 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Very good! My piece goes up tomorrow. Nothing like slipping in at the last minute. And I cheated. You'll see...

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I loved this. I'm off to "like" your entry straight away, Michael.

Sarah Tokeley said...

This is lovely Michael. I love a happy ending :-)

Lorelei Bell said...

Exquisitely done, Michael, and very imaginative!

Sheri L. Swift, Author said...

Loved this piece. I've always loved dragon flies & I loved it from her perspective. ; )

Anonymous said...

Well done. I love a happy ending yet you've left enough of a question for me to want more. Great take on the challenge.

mshatch said...

wow! Impressive and very fanciful! I like it :)

Deniz Bevan said...

Ooh, ooh, I want more! What does she do next with the book and mirror?

Michelle Wallace said...

... and then she knew . Knew what ? Ah , the classic cliffhanger ...
My entry at no.#185

the wild magnolia said...

Good story, a mystery....my favorite.

Good job, I want the rest of the story.

#188 (the wild magnolia's "other" blog, Chaos and Old Night.....my writing blog.

Unknown said...

Beautiful. You rose to the challenge!

MG Higgins said...

Wow, you did a great job with these really difficult words.

Arlee Bird said...

Nice approach. Fantastical and mystical without being creepy or gory. You used the words as they should be used.


Lee
Tossing It Out

Nicki Elson said...

This really was quite the challenge. I've come across a few others in my wanderings. What strikes me about your is that it's not only fun to read, the obscure words fit so nicely into the language in which you wrote it. Love the fanciful feel of a dragonfly working "magic." :)

N. R. Williams said...

Michael...this is excellent writing. I am thrilled to have watched you become a talented author. You have my vote.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium

N. R. Williams said...

I couldn't figure out where to go to vote. I did go over to the challenge page. Let me know.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium

Laura said...

This was a gorgeous piece of writing! I love your character and the line ' thread-like leg flipped through several pages stopping abruptly at the lacuna.' especially
Laura xxx

ruth.the.writer said...

I love your imagery. It sounds like the start of a very interesting story!

I'm no. 44

David P. King said...

That was excellent!

the imagery and your flow of words kept the prose from obscurity. Great voice in your narrative, too.

Great job, Michael! :)

Anonymous said...

I love your writing. Nice job!

erica and christy said...

That challenge was way too impossible. You really shouldn't follow the rules. :)
erica

Talli Roland said...

Wow, Michael! I loved this. You did a great job!

K.T. Hanna said...

This is great! I love the cadence it has. Sort of a lilting quality to the voice. At least in my head ;)

Margo Benson said...

Wow, that was one tough challenge! Your beautiful writing included the words in a way that made them belong, not just a stream of dictionary swallowing. Gorgeous story.

I know I thanked you here, but I'll be thanking you for my blog award tomorrow (Wed) when I post.

Donea Lee said...

Very magical ~ :) I think you used the words perfectly! I'll vote!

Ciara said...

I love your magical prose that engross the reader in a new world. I'm a huge fan of that type of writing. Great job with the challenge. I'm off to vote.

F.E. Sewell said...

Awesome entry! I love that your MC is a dragonfly!

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Great entry, Michael! You have a way with words. Good luck!
Monti
NotesAlongTheWay

Matthew MacNish said...

Wow, Michael. That was great. Thanks for sharing!

Carrie Butler said...

That was fantastic, Michael! Great job! :)

Dawn M. Hamsher said...

I enjoyed this! Pulls the reader right in!

The Write Soil

Mine is #50.

dolorah said...

AWESOME!!! Of course I'll vote for you. Seriously, you need to put this in your A-Z anthology.

Totally love this. Glad I didn't miss it :)

.......dhole

Jen said...

Knew what? KNEW WHAT?!?!? :)

Great ending! I definitely want to know what happens next.

julie fedderson said...

Love the feel of this--so deceptively light but I'm waiting for the "what's next?" Great job!