Thursday, October 13, 2011

RULE OF 3... RENAISSANCE. PART TWO. AND PAY IT FOWARD!




I hope I made this on time. Just barely behind the wire. This the second installment in the RULE of 3 blogfest. By now must of you know what it's all about. I do have to reveal my prompt and for this segment I used, a character lies to another on an important matter.

If you'd like to read my first segment click here.

And know Welcome to Renaissance.


A three-story ramshackle house hid behind a peeling one pump gas station on the outskirts of the small town of Renaissance. A withered sign scrolled with population 333 creaked in the blustering October wind barely holding on by a single piece of trembling barbed wire. 
Fallen dried leaves stirred and broke the silence of early dawn as a paled hand opened the front door. 
The filtered light from a nearby streetlamp highlighted the golden flame tresses of a teenage girl. An off-white chemise clung to her curves as she swept away the fallen leaves and picked up the daily newspaper.
She glanced at the headline unimpressed. “Doesn’t anything exciting ever happen here?” she huffed. “I can’t wait til I turn eighteen and I can leave this sorry ass town.”
Stepping back through the arched doorway, the faint sound of a rumbling truck piqued her interest.
She turned. Dust kicked up in the distance as the truck sped down the Villein. As it approached, bright head lights temporarily blinded her until it skidded to a complete stop. Dirt and debris collected at her bare feet.
“What the ...?”
A moment later, the rusted door squeaked open as a white bloodstained trainer hit the pavement.
After he stood, he shook his shaved head and rolled his shoulders, releasing a pinned up moan.
As quiet as a whisper, she disappeared back into the house, raced up the stairs, and entered a small, dingy bedroom. She peered at the stranger through a dew-streaked window.
He paced like a caged animal from the pump to the truck. After furrowing his brow, he kicked the tires. 
Curious, she slipped on a pair of faded jeans and a tight-fitted t-shirt bedazzled with rhinestones, accentuating her ample chest.
The bathroom door slammed, startling her. “Dad’s up. I better get down there fast.”
In a flash, she darted down the stairs and out the front door. 
Leaves crunched under her feet. His neck snapped around and hazel green eyes locked on hers. The corners of his mouth curled.
Was it a smile? She wasn’t sure. It disappeared in an instant.
“Is there something I can help you with?” The girl asked, pulling her eyes away from his.
“Ah, yeah.” He ran a trembling hand over his stubble. “I can use some gas. And maybe if you know of a place I can crash for a few days.”
“Dad should be out in a minute. He’ll unlock the pump. As for a place, we rent out rooms.”
He raised his head and glanced at the sagging roof and warped front porch. “Ah, okay. I guess it will do for a day or two.” 
“It includes breakfast, too. I was just about to make some. After you fill up, drive around to the side and come into the kitchen and I’ll fix you something.”
“Thanks.” 
“I’ll see what’s keeping Dad.” She smiled and took a step toward the house. “Oh, I’m Tanya, by the way.”
“I’m Aidan.”
Tanya padded down the drive.
“Hey, Tanya,” he called out. “Where am I?”
She giggled and then turned. “Renaissance, of course. If ever there was a place to hide a secret ... this is the place.”

Aidan’s jaw dropped.
Tanya’s eyes brightened. Finally a bit of excitement.
“So what’s your story Aidan? How come a kid like you is traveling by himself?”
Aidan’s face hardened. “Let’s just say my parents are fine and they gave me some time off for good behavior.”
“If you say so.” I know you’re hiding something Aidan. I’ll find out soon enough.



Well that is the second segment. I hope it peeked your interest. Drop by next week for Part Three.

Let me know what you thing... 




Now for other news. THE PAY IT FOWARD BLOGFEST.






A brain child of Alex J. Cavanaugh and Matthew MacNash. Drop by their blogs for the extensive list.


This is a great blogfest and easy too, just chose three blogger buddies to feature. Drop by their blogs and follow. East, right? Well, you have all weekend to discover blog love.


Here are mine... Drop by their blogs... They are all awesome!


Marcy @ Mainwords.

Laura @ The Daily Dodo.

Mood @ Moody Writing




Have a great weekend everyone!

32 comments:

Arlee Bird said...

I like what you are doing with this. Great setting and characters. Ready for what comes next.


Lee
Tossing It Out

Sarah Tokeley said...

I enjoyed this. I hope it means things are looking up for Aidan :-)

Robyn Campbell said...

I had to go back and catch up! Michael, you are the master of description. I am enjoying this. Your characters have come to life, my friend. :-)

Donna K. Weaver said...

Nice to see some familiar blogs listed.

LTM said...

ooo, new friends! I don't know any of these guys. Thanks, Michael~ :o) <3

Heather said...

That definitely piqued my interest! What is he hiding?! And great blogfest mentions. :)

mshatch said...

wow, thanks for the mention :) and I really liked you excerpt. too!

Matthew MacNish said...

Thanks so much for taking part in the fest, Michael! Looks like you've picked some great blogs.

Unknown said...

I'm dropping by from the blog fest, Michael. The story looks great (love description - can't get enough!)

Golden Eagle said...

I love this second installment! :)

I follow all the blogs you mentioned. They're awesome!

Deniz Bevan said...

Love that first paragraph. Can't wait to see what happens between these two - picturing dad with a shotgun here...

Pat Hatt said...

The rule of three I broke, oopsy..haha will check out your picks too sdI nlog hop away.

Danette said...

Hi Michael! Went to The Daily Dodo but the link was to Mainwords (whom I also already follow!)... as was the one you intended to be Mainwords. bummer. Did check out the other blog though and enjoyed your entry! And I mentioned you today on my post.

Lydia Kang said...

Going to check them out. I know Maine Words and Moody, that leaves the Dodo!

Li said...

Lots of detail and atmosphere :-)

Unknown said...

Loved reading this Bro and your links I need to check out. I already follow Laura and curious about the others :=) Have a great week-end!

Laura said...

Loved the segment - looking forward to next week's. And thanks so much for the shout out - so kind out you - it means a lot!!!

Laura x

dolorah said...

Excellent excerpt Michael; I like the meeting, and the description is awesome. I can just imagine the next segment will be steamy :)

Have a good weekend Michael.

.......dhole

Jeremy Bates said...

i missed the pay it forward hop, so coming fashionably late to say hello! nice to meet you :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hey Michael! How on earth did I miss your post? Crap, I hope Blogger didn't drop you. Thanks for participating and I follow all three of those ladies!

N. R. Williams said...

I think Alex must be the king of blogfest. Sorry I haven't been around much, I'm a tad overwhelmed. I enjoyed your story. I was worried about the girl since it appeared this guy might be a danger from your description. But that keeps the reader interested. Lots of tension. Nice job.
Nancy

Ciara said...

Sorry for my late arrival, I've been out of town. I'll go follow these three new blogs. Thanks for introducing them to me. :)

mooderino said...

Thanks so much for the mention, very kind of you.

cheers,
mood

Anonymous said...

The name of the town?! Brilliant! Love it. Has a very western feel to it.

Margo Benson said...

Sorry for the late commenting! Wow, Michael, I am SO enjoying these! Your atmoshere and descriptions are wonderful - gripping too. Looking forward to the next piece.

M

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

It's really good. But I think you need the word "piqued" instead of "peeked".

Nicki Elson said...

Hey, interesting to see Aiden and Tanya meeting in a while new way. Brilliant descriptions. In my hurry the other day I skipped right past this not realizing it contained two of my favorite characters.

Talli Roland said...

What is Aidan hiding? WHAT IS AIDAN HIDING? You've definitely captured my interest!

Anonymous said...

Interesting installment. I'm trying to figure out who might be the next character. Only a few more days until I can get the answer.

Anonymous said...

Great excerpt!!!

May-Day_Aura said...

Well, something exciting has certainly happened in Tanya's town. I wonder what will happen if trouble comes looking for Aidan?

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

My interest is up for sure. I'm a little leery of Tanya.
I like the set up.