Thursday, April 24, 2014

ON A STARY NIGHT...ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN...

A ten-year-old, Alex, studies the starlit sky from his bedroom in the rural county of Somerset. A bright stream of light hurls toward him at incredible speed.

His eyes widen and they lock on the image. 

He presses his face against the windowpane. Slowly his mouth opens as the meteorite collides with the lamp post across the street and crashes through the roof of his house, hitting him in the head…


*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *    *

Scars remain, along with incredible seizures from the aftermath. Alex is forced to stay at home until his fits can be controlled. He keeps himself amused with tales by Tolkein, corresponding with the local meteor expert, and working in his mother’s spiritualist shop.

Time passes and he returns to school. Everyday is a new torment from bullies, but Alex continues to believes he is special and manages to survive.

A week or so later, the bullies chase Alex and he hides in a ramshackle shed. He waits a good hour or so and peers out the slatted door. His, neighbor, Mr. Peterson says, “You can come out now. They’re gone.”

Alex slowly creeks open the door.

He steps toward Mr. Peterson and for the first time he has a conversation with his neighbor.

For the first time he has an unexpected adventure…

The first of many…


*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     * 

Now, seven years later, Alex drives off the ferry at Dover and is pulled over by the customs agent. Mr Peterson by his side in an urn, along with 133 grams of marijuana in the glove compartment.

As the agent asks question after question, a seizure overtakes Alex. As he tries to control it, he is taken away by the police…

Another adventure begins…




The Universe Versus Alex Woods

by 

Gavin Extence


His final with Mr. Peterson.

Amazon: Link


I must say this one has a most unusual premise. Leave it to a British author to come up with something so original. Since I didn't have a "U" book I found this one in Goodreads. It received a four star rating with over 4000 reviews. It must be pretty amazing.

Tomorrow I'll be introducing another Goodreads pick. I hope you enjoy it as much as this one.

Thanks for stopping by everyone! Have an AMAZING Thursday!

22 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hit in the head by a meteor and later in life he smuggles marijuana? Quite the mix of elements.
Awesome name for a character I might add...

Cathrina Constantine said...

How do you survive after getting hit in the head by a meteor?I would think the marijuana is to control his seizures?? I'm guessing. Sounds totally interesting.

Stina said...

Wow, that is a different premise. And ouch to being hit in the head by a meteor. That must have hurt.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That meteor did something to his brain, that's for sure.

Rachna Chhabria said...

I like the character's name, reminds me of our Ninja Captain ;) Nice premise.

Robin said...

This looks good. I love the premise.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Alex vs the universe -- the odds sound terrible! :-) No wonder the Ninja Captain liked the title!!

David P. King said...

If a meteorite hit me in the head, I would say the universe was out to get me, too. :)

cleemckenzie said...

I'm interested in finding out about those adventures!

debi o'neille said...

Great premise, so I'm sure it's going to be a good read.
Deb@ http://debioneille.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

This is wonderful. I'm adding this to my TBR pile! Thanks!

~Jen

Crystal Collier said...

Curious. I haven't heard of it before, but I would probably like it.

True Heroes from A to Z

Michelle Wallace said...

I think that title is powerful!

Unknown said...

I was wondering what you'd do for U...:)

Anonymous said...

Great title and a promise of a good book.
Yvonne.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

It sounds like an interesting book. Maybe that kid should have been named Job.

Jo said...

Our Ninja Captain liked the name too. Sounds a very different concept, not your usual run of the mill by any means.

Nicki Elson said...

Even the author's name is intriguing. Good find & nice intro. :)

Unknown said...

Alex's adventures sound fascinating! You're doing a wonderful job with this series, Michael.

Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2014, My Latest post

Twitter: @AprilA2Z
#atozchallenge

Carrie Butler said...

Great intro! I'm also loving the cover on this one. :D

Denise Covey said...

Great intro Michael. I"m a bit worried about Alex!

SK Anthony said...

Okay, so this is really different and unique. I'm definitely curios about his adventures now. Gee, thanks Michael...'cause my list of books to read wasn't long enough already... lol