Tuesday, April 15, 2014

A SOMEWHAT ENCHANTED EVENING...

Sixteen-year-old Alexia pins the last banana curl in place. 

Why am I so plain and homely? I’ll never marry looking like this.

She presses the folds of her gown, glancing one last time in the ornate, gilded mirror.

Turning on a slippered foot, she heads out of her room and down the chilled corridor toward the entry.

Twenty stairs she counts before arriving at the front door. A small carriage awaits. The driver assists Alexia as she slips inside.

Another party…how will I endure this evening alone? Why me? Nothing exciting ever happens to me.

The driver pulls up to the neighboring estate, and extends a hand to Alexia as she steps out of the carriage.

“Thank you, Rodney.”

“Shall I pick you up at the usual time, Miss?”

Alexia stares into the moonless sky and sighs. “I suppose.” 

She lingers a moment lost in thought as another carriage nearly runs her over. She jumps back just in time, shaking from head to toe.

“My word! How utterly rude! Have you no shame, Sir,” she calls out to the figure at the top of the stairs.

He turns, locking his frigid, electric blue eyes onto Alexia’s warm brown eyes.”

She gasps and stumbles backward nearly fainting. 
He rushes to her side.

Once more dizziness overtakes her and she falls into his arms. 

This is the man of my nightmares…he’s real…he’s real. She blinks her eyes open and steadies herself, pushing away from him. But he clasps his hand around her arm.

“That will be all, Sir. Kindly release me.”

Stepping away, he bores his eyes into her very soul. With all the strength she can muster, Alexia runs into the house and disappears amongst the crowd.

Her heart pounds against her chest as she looks through the dozens of guests for any sign of the stranger.

“He’s gone,” she whispers and inhales several deep breaths.  

As the evening progresses, odd twinges, and chills race throughout her body. She watches her friends’ laughter and gaiety and longs to be a part of it.

An hour passes…

My driver awaits…it’s time to go. She sighs.

Alexia collects her things and heads toward the grand entrance to depart, leaving the ballroom at the height of the dance. 

She stops in mid-step.

Her heart explodes from her chest. 

She holds her breath.

The stranger stands over the murdered body of her host. He turns his head and stares directly into Alexia’s eyes…

An electric shock surges through her body.

Her eyes close for a split second…

And he disappears into the moonless night.


Moonless

by


Crystal Collier


As Alexia faces the mirror, preparing for bed, her mouth opens in a silent scream…

The face reflecting is not her own, but of a raving beauty with emerald eyes.

Amazon: Link

Whoa! I didn’t see that coming…did you? Crystal really has a FANTASTIC premise here. This book has it all. Mystery, intrigue, historical, paranormal, and suspense. This scene just scratches the surface of the inner story.

Just remember everyone, I do my intros mostly on blurbs and covers, so this may not have happened exactly in this way…but I did take this scene from the synopsis on Amazon.  

Crystal also has MOONLESS on sale now for only $1.99 for the next few weeks. SO this is an AWESOME time to buy it!

Thanks Crystal for creating such an exciting story and CONGRATS on your next book SOULLESS...

ALL THE BEST, Crystal!

Have a great day everyone!


Unleashing the dream world, one book at a time


22 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Very tense! Quite the poetic flow to the intro. And knew it was Crystal's book from the first line. Well done.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on a wonderful write, loved the intro, had me sat on the edge of my seat.. Well done.
Yvonne.

Julie Flanders said...

If I didn't already have this on my Kindle I would now. Yay, Crystal! :)

Robin said...

Intrigue abounds! Congrats Crystal!!!

Liz Blocker said...

I'm with Robin - much intrigue! Already we have mystery, murder, and paranormal...and probably romance somewhere in there :) Love it!

D.G. Hudson said...

Congrats, Crystal. The disappearing stranger must be. . .I won't say it. Those darn mirrors can be more than they seem, too.
It certainly got my interest, Michael!

Crystal Collier said...

Yay! Thank you so much for featuring Moonless today, Michael. You are epicsauce wrapped in cheese. =)

True Heroes from A to Z

Anonymous said...

Man, this sounds so blipping awesome, Crystal!! Great work making Moonless shine, Michael!

WriterlySam
Echoes of Olympus
A to Z #TeamDamyanti

Jennifer Hawes said...

I adore mysteries! This book is wrapped in cheese:-D Love this introduction to Crystal's book.

David P. King said...

Woohoo! Go Crystal. Soulless is bound to be amazing! :)

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Love the paranormal, historical mystery to this story. You presented it enormously well.

Michelle Wallace said...

I really loved the banana curl image... great intro...
The man of her nightmare is real - love the intrigue.

Rumer Haven said...

That's a gorgeous cover! And a completely intriguing intro. Am such a sucker for the supernatural.

DMS said...

I love the cover and the story is very intriguing. I am curious to know what happens. It would be scary to run into a man from my nightmares! Best of luck to Crystal. This one is on my list and I look forward to getting to it. :)
~Jess

Steven said...

Very, very intense.

SK Anthony said...

And the WHAT happens????
Oh, I guess...I'll have to read it now. Awesome pitch! :D

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I wanted Crystal's book and picked it during the sale.

cleemckenzie said...

Great intro to Moonless!

mshatch said...

Awesome intro, Michael! It sounds deliciously dark ;)

Tammy Theriault said...

Michael...just wear your shorts and stop bugging..i'm already reading it!! :) I love to tease models :)

shelly said...

Tweeted! Love your intros whether they are befitting or not.

Unknown said...

A really interesting post. Thank you so much, nice to follow and connect through atozchallenge.
http://aimingforapublishingdeal.blogspot.co.uk