Thursday, April 3, 2014

CARAVANNING THROUGH THE OLDE WEST...

Images of the perfect marriage and home in the new west dance through Rebecca’s mind.

Imagine. California. No more harsh winters. No more struggling. A dream come true.

She finishes packing her meager belongings and races to the covered wagon, placing them inside, excited and scared all at the same time. She pulls back an escaped lock of golden hair and sighs.

I’m ready.


*     *     *     *     *      *      *      *


Days turn into weeks as she and her family caravan through the vast, unsettled lands of America. With only dreams of wedlock sustaining her through this perilous journey, Rebecca longs for the day when she meets her betrothed.

As they enter New Mexico a fight breaks out. 

In all the commotion, Rebecca is left behind. 

Alone. Stripped of all civilization, she frantically searches for food, shelter, and water in a barren, sandy wasteland.

With the sun beating down upon her, she wanders helplessly, her mind unfocused and delirious, playing tricks on her. For two days and nights she manages to survive. 

At daybreak her mind plays another cruel trick and she imagines a dusty figure on horseback fading in and out on the horizon. Blinking her eyes, Rebecca forces them to focus.

She shakes her head and whispers, “It can’t be.”

A tear escapes, trailing down a crease in her cheek. 

It can’t be real.

I’m alone. My life is over.

Dropping onto a rock, salty tears flow into her chapped hands, stinging them. She raises her head and watches the mysterious image move closer. 

Life is so cruel and unjust.

A dizziness whirls through Rebecca’s head. She hears a deep, raspy voice call out, “Maam. Are you alright?” 

As she fades into darkness, her last thought drifts through her semiconscious mind…

Now I’m hearing things.


*     *     *     *     *      *      *      *


Cool water soaks her parched lips. Rebecca’s crusted eyes blink open and locks them on the stranger. Tiny lines crinkle the corners of his golden eyes as he smiles.

“Ma’am. I thought I lost you there for a minute.” He smiles again. “What are you doing out here in this God forsaken place all alone?”

Rebecca gulps down water from his leather canteen, licks her lips, and stares at the stranger. 

“I wish I knew. But here I am and here I’ll stay.”

His smile fades and his heavy brows furrow. “Ma’am. You can’t mean that. If you don’t die of dehydration or starvation, a rattler will get you for sure.”

“I can take care of myself.”

He laughs. “I can see that.”

“Don’t mock me, Sir.”

“Sir? I’m no Sir…I’m Seth. And your name, Ma’am?”

“What difference does it make now? But, if you must know, it’s Rebecca.”

He beams. “Well it does if we’ll be traveling together.”

Rebecca glares at him. “What on earth makes you think that?”

Seth brushes the sweat off his brow. “Because i’m not leaving you here for vulture food.”


What will happen to Seth and Rebecca on their risky journey westward?

Will they give into their growing attraction, each healing the other’s love-starved soul along the way? 

Or will Rebecca honor her commitment to her betrothed in California?


Come Back

by

Melissa Maygrove











Hmmmm. This certainly sounds like an intriguing romance, the old west, a rugged stranger and a stubborn woman. Nothing like turbulent chemistry. LOL.

Congrats Melissa and all the best with your novel!

Come Back
New Adult / Adult
Western Historical Romance
Available May 2014








Thanks for visiting today everyone! Day three and still going strong. Drop by tomorrow for another exciting book to be featured! Until then, stay well!






32 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Excellent intro for Melissa's book. And even better that it's coming out next month.

Melissa said...

I love it, Michael! It's neat to see your take on things from just the cover and the blurb. Thanks so much for doing this. :)

Julie Flanders said...

I already knew I wanted to read Melissa's book and now even more so. Another great intro, Michael. So happy for Melissa!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I can sense sparks are going to fly between those two.

Brandon Ax said...

It definitely sets the stage.

Brandon Ax: Writer's Storm

Laura Clipson said...

This does sound like an interesting story, I love how they met.

Robin said...

I love the cover for this book. Does anyone else see the sparks flying off of it????

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I got this one right!! Woot woot. I win some bragging rights!

Unknown said...

Great intro! Good luck Melissa :)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Having traveled through parts of the really empty west, I found your description of Rebecca's situation very realistic.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Michael, what a lovely intro for Melissa's book. Good luck to Melissa.

Melissa said...

Thanks for your kind words, Julie. I hope it lives up to your expectations.

Jo said...

Personally I would kick Rebecca's butt. She has been rescued and she talks about staying there. Stupid.

Melissa said...

Thanks, Rachna.

Melissa said...

LOL

If that's the case, you probably shouldn't read the book. The circumstances are different, but... ;)

Tina said...

Sounds great. I used to read a lot of romances, and this one sure got my attention!
Tina @ Life is Good
A to Z Team @ Blogging From A to Z April Challenge 2014

Michelle Merrill said...

Very intriguing! Thanks for sharing :)

cleemckenzie said...

Lost and found! Yay! Always great when a handsome bloke stops by with water just in time. :-)

Roland D. Yeomans said...

You really snared me into Melissa's book. I am an old Louis Lamour fan. Great job as always. Melissa, highest sales to you!

Michelle Wallace said...

Melissa is rocking BloggyVille at the moment!
You really sucked me in with that snippet! Really tantalizing!

Loni Townsend said...

Interesting... A bit of role reversal there. :) I seem to recall someone else saving the other. But then again, I've had the privilege of reading the wonderful story already.

mooderino said...

Beautifully written intro. Nice job.

mood
Moody Writing

Len Lambert said...

I love the intro, too, and the title is catching :)

Melissa said...

Thanks, Tina. :)

Melissa said...

Thanks, Roland. I tried to include a little outdoorsy, manly stuff for the guys. :)

Melissa said...

LOL

Just what I was thinking - she saves him.
But we have an unfair advantage. ;)

Melissa said...

I've wondered if I did alright choosing a title, and you're the first person to comment on it. Thanks, Len.

Melissa said...

LOL - Thank Carrie Butler for that. :P

Melissa said...

Thanks, Siv. :)

Carrie Butler said...

Yay! I love this book. :D

Damaria Senne said...

Very interesting intro. Hooked me.

Unknown said...

I love a great Old West tale and this sounds right up my alley.